NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys title pretty much says it all. Ive never caught a fish using the ole ball and chain simply because Ive probably only used once or twice in my life. So lets here it: what rod and reel combos? what time of year to fish it? what plastic to use? weight size? leader length? places to fish it? shallow or deep? and pretty much anything else you have to say about it. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
First, bait caster reel, seven foot medium heavy rod. Line choice for me 14 pound mono main line, 30" to 38" 12 pound mono leader.
3/4 oz egg sinker, 3/0 wide gap hook, Zoom Ultravibe Speedcraw. Stump fields in four to fifteen feet of water, normally on points.
That's how I roll, but everyone fishes it differently.
I fish it from after the spawn til late fall.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Rod and reel are negligible here something with a good spine and a fast tip. I use 20 pound braid and 15 pound florocarbon leader. 3/4 ounce tungsten bullet wieght. I like tungsten cause they have smaller profile and hang less. Match the hook the the bait and remember to use as big a hook as you can manage. Texpose the bait on the hook. Main lake and secondary points with stumps and rocks. If you are feeling nothing throw somewhere else. If you ain't in the "goodies" you ain't in the right place.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Baitcaster or spinning rod really is fine; for this I actually prefer spinning rod mainly because C-rig is more about covering water for me, and I'm not usually throwing at specific targets so I don't really need the accuracy of the baitcaster. I do often want to lob it out for a really long cast, for which for me spinning reels have a little edge. Medium heavy rod is my preference, and I like the 7 or 7 1/2 footer with a fast tip.

I like braid for main line (15 or 20lb) for its sensitivity and low "stretch", and I use whatever weight I need to keep the bait on the bottom; usually 1/2 to 3/4 ounce, and I agree I like tungsten for it. I put a bead above the swivel that has a wide enough hole to slide easily over the knot, to protect the knot from the weight banging on the swivel.

Leader typically I like about 18 to 24 inches of 12 or so pound flouro or mono. Mono has the edge for me because it helps give a little more float to the bait, and I want it several inches of the bottom during the retrieve. Baits I like the speed craw a lot, this time of year zoom lizard, and at Belews Creek in early spring the trick worm actually works quite well also. I have caught fish on my standard 7.5" Berkley Power Worm, same one I Texas rig with, as well. Can't really go wrong, whatever plastic you have faith in works.

Especially good for points and flats, rocky and stumpy are good features. I agree with Gene, if you are not feeling something in the way of cover or rock, it's not as likely a good spot for it. If there is a good drop to the point I'm on I like to park shallow and cast out towards deep to make sure it stays in contact with the bottom. Drag it, pause, drag it, pause, wait for the rod to just load up and start pulling; good firm pull back to set the hook, and keep it tight the whole time.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Its not a go to thing for me but I have times and places I do throw it and catch fish, I share the same view as riverrat. I throw it on a 7 ft MH with fast tip. I use 14lb floro for the main line and 10 lb mono leader 32-40" in length, the idea behind the lighter leader is if it gets hung, you can break off the leader and still get back your sinker, bead and swivel. I like a 3/4 oz brass c-rig sinker. For a bait I usually use a baby brush hog or trick worm. I generally use a c-rig to drag across flats with isolated cover or pull down ledges.

Alot of times if I get a c-rig hung, I can put the boat right over it and pull from a different angle if the sinker is stuck and pull it free, if the hook is stuck, you can often times free it by popping your sinker up and letting it fall, it may take a few pops but it usually comes loose.

Another thing I do when I c-rig is always keep a marker buoy in reach. Often times the fish I catch c-rigging are school oriented. Once I hook up I drop the buoy right next to the boat. This way if I drift off the spot unhooking fish or retying, I can get right back to the same place and make the same cast. Also if the school shuts down, I can let them rest and wander around the flat, point or ledge and come back to them a while later.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
One more thing I should add is that I use the C-rig to explore the bottom in an area sometimes. Sonar is fine but I still often find things by dragging a weight across them. And when I do, that's also sometimes the moment the line goes tight with a fish on the end. :D

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Are u guys always using a c rig from a boat since from the banks I only end up losing them

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I think if I couldn't go get my rig when it gets hung (ie, take the boat over there), I'd lose a lot of them as well, Spidey. Often that weight will wedge into a crevice in or between rocks, or wedge into bark or branches on a log or stump. Since the C-rig does not *usually* actually hook a piece of structure, you can usually take the boat on the back side of it and pop it free from whatever it's wedged into.

Fishing from a bank, I would think since you don't have that ability, that you'd be prone to lose them a lot. Never thought of it since I am usually in a boat, but that makes sense.

Reactions: Lace

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Good stuff. I've learned things as well.

I'm a spinning rod user 7' MH. 30 lb braid with a 10 foot mono leader on the braid attached with a double uni knot. I used to tie the braid straight to the swivel but had lots of problems with the weight sliding up and then twisting the braid so the weight would not slide back down to the swivel. I was using a bobber stop to keep the weight in place but you had to fiddle with it every couple casts. Somebody here suggested the mono leader and this works very well. I use 1/2 oz brass weight, always use the glass bead. Leader from the swivel is about 2 feet and I have never fished anything other than a UV speed craw on a 3/0 EWG hook (if it ain't broke don't fix it!).

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Good stuff. I've learned things as well.

I'm a spinning rod user 7' MH. 30 lb braid with a 10 foot mono leader on the braid attached with a double uni knot. I used to tie the braid straight to the swivel but had lots of problems with the weight sliding up and then twisting the braid so the weight would not slide back down to the swivel. I was using a bobber stop to keep the weight in place but you had to fiddle with it every couple casts. Somebody here suggested the mono leader and this works very well. I use 1/2 oz brass weight, always use the glass bead. Leader from the swivel is about 2 feet and I have never fished anything other than a UV speed craw on a 3/0 EWG hook (if it ain't broke don't fix it!).
The same thing is done with popping corks and it is amazing the difference.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've used it on a spinning rig, somehow the weird side-sweeping hookset feels more natural to me with that. I've used mainly worms and lizards on the c-rig but the last time I fished a c-rig in freshwater was before I heard of the speedcraw. The speedcraw on a t-rig has worked so well for me that I haven't tried it on the c-rig, despite that combo's legendary reputation on this site. The c-rig is also a natural summer presentation, especially when they are out deeper or on main points and you don't need the pinpoint accuracy.

I've also used the c-rig quite a bit in saltwater, both in the "fish finder" rig with a big pyramid sinker, and just a straight up c-rig with the barrel sinker. Its really nice for covering water when you're surf fishing - which is exactly the same idea when using it to fish freshwater points.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
One more thing.. On your beads, try to stay away from bright colors like red or chartreuse. Use clear ones. This stops the sunfish and white perch from worrying you to death pecking on them, making you think you're getting a bite. Wal Mart hobby section has beads, about 400 for three bucks..deal...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I use something a little different (granted I have only been C-rig fishing for a year now because of all these crazy guys who keep catching them on here!!)... I use a 4/0 EWG hook then 16-24'' above I use these. They are called "Carolina Keepers"... they act as a swivel so you don't have to tie one on and worry about breaking that off or tying a bad knot and worrying. You use pliers and open the hole, slide line through, and then close it by squeezing opposite way with the pliers. I put a 3/8oz sinker and a bead in front of them (normally 2 "Carolina Keepers") and a zoom trick worm, speed craw, etc. etc. Will take a picture tonight as I am heading to the ol honey hole soon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Its not a go to thing for me but I have times and places I do throw it and catch fish, I share the same view as riverrat. I throw it on a 7 ft MH with fast tip. I use 14lb floro for the main line and 10 lb mono leader 32-40" in length, the idea behind the lighter leader is if it gets hung, you can break off the leader and still get back your sinker, bead and swivel. I like a 3/4 oz brass c-rig sinker. For a bait I usually use a baby brush hog or trick worm. I generally use a c-rig to drag across flats with isolated cover or pull down ledges.

Alot of times if I get a c-rig hung, I can put the boat right over it and pull from a different angle if the sinker is stuck and pull it free, if the hook is stuck, you can often times free it by popping your sinker up and letting it fall, it may take a few pops but it usually comes loose.

Another thing I do when I c-rig is always keep a marker buoy in reach. Often times the fish I catch c-rigging are school oriented. Once I hook up I drop the buoy right next to the boat. This way if I drift off the spot unhooking fish or retying, I can get right back to the same place and make the same cast. Also if the school shuts down, I can let them rest and wander around the flat, point or ledge and come back to them a while later.
This Exactly !

·
Registered
549 Posts
Are u guys always using a c rig from a boat since from the banks I only end up losing them
I only use the Carolina rig or its cousin Santee for catfishing. So far until I post this haven't lost one that I recall. I have Texas rigged the area so I think I have a general sense of the floor (who knows could just be a lucky son of gun, more likely) before throwing the C or S rig. Also cause I am only using for catfishing I only have a few casts so that limits my chances for snags and loss.

I have used the bright color beads, again til this post haven't had a issue will the little guys messing with it. I know they are there cause they mess with my worms in that area.

YMMV for both.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.