NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the New River trip looming on the horizon I'd like to pick ya'lls brains a little on targeting smallmouth with the fly rod. The only smallmouth experience I have currently is with spinning equipment so I'm going into this completely green. I'm interested in any and all info you can give, line size, patterns, presentations, etc.

Hopefully I can get out before the big float and try a few things, but any info I can get before then is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I like a red/orange colored woolly bugger fly with a bead or weighted head.

Smallmouth seem to like those type of flies.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Look into some of the craw immitators out there. There are a couple that are very easy to tie.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I caught several on the fly this morning and I'm going back in a bit. Streamers have been good to me and you know they'll smash top water. I like a cone head to get down to the fish quicker and I'm using 4x.

As far as presentation, imagine what you did with spinning tackle and make the fly do that. You know they can be choosy at times. Dark brown and black are my favorite colors thus far.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I have a metric poo ton of olive wooly buggers tied up that I plan to use, but I need to make some with different color combinations. I need to make up some poppers too. I have some balsa laying around, just need to get started on them.

Ran across the Kreelex on another site recently, and it looks intriguing. I might tie up a few of those. I need to give some crawfish imitators a shot too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I caught several on the fly this morning and I'm going back in a bit. Streamers have been good to me and you know they'll smash top water. I like a cone head to get down to the fish quicker and I'm using 4x.
Take a 3x or 4x leader cut it in half and put on 10lb flouro for your tippet. It will turn those heavy streamers over much better

·
Registered
696 Posts
Lead eyed woolies
Clouser's - chart/white, brown/orange
Deciever's - chart/yellow, chart/white, black/grey, white/white
Marabou Muddlers - unweighted and grease head, all white, yellow, chart
Stonefly nymphs - big
Bullethead hoppers - big

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
They will flow properly at the end of the cast and come to present better.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The only flies that have worked for me are Stealth Bombers(of course!), Sneaky Petes, Foxy Clousers, and Chart/White Clousers. I've always wanted to try a nice hellgrammite pattern but haven't done that yet. I'm sure Carolina Mtn Sports has something good.

My buddy did well on the New using Pink Wooly Buggers. I've heard that works better than all flies certain times of the year. I think it mimics baby molting crawfish.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Nice to see some more fly flingers attending this years event. The Judge thinks a separate category for fly fishermen may be in order for the Saturday tournament. Would like to see you guys bring a few extra tied creations to put in the newly designated 'I'm sick and can't help myself' prize pot. I will reveal the tournament guidelines on the 6th Annual NRSM thread for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts