NC Angler Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was thinking about borrowing my dad's small creek boatfor some bream fishing. Is opeeated by a trolling motor. What is the law regarding life jackets in a boat this small. Obviously they're required in motor boats, but what about these type small boats. I tried ncwr website but it's not pulling up at the moment.
Seems like a grey area. The areas that I would use it in ate really small and tight. Even if something happens a life jacket would still be pointless. And the boats are so small there's no where to store them.
Thanks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
doesn't matter, accidents happen and you can slip, bang your head and drown in inches of water.. Too many thin reasonably comfortable vests out there now not to have one. Especially if you will be in waters that power boats use. I've seen small boats run over by idiots not paying attention.

·
Registered
421 Posts
On a related note, kids under 13 are required by law to have on a lifejacket when the vessel is underway.

"Underway" basically means not anchored or not moored. I didn't realize for many years the underway part - just forced my kid to have it on at all times. Any of you ever messed with that, allowing them to take it off when anchored and fishing? It gets hot out there...

Jay

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Yep, required. Even if they werent they would be a very good idea.

I dont think they are required on a stand up paddle board, they really should be. I saw a guy in Jordan in January, really windy day and nobody else out there but me. He was out in the middle of the lake, a hard fall into 45 degree water could have been really bad.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I asked q game warden if they were required for paddle boarding. He said they were.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
With these new automatic inflatable life jackets there is really no reason not to wear one all the time. I wear mine in all seasons and weather and I don't even really know it is on.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Even if not required by law, why would anyone go out on any body of water without a life vest?
Personal preference. Like seat belts, they work but aren't for everybody evidently. Sometimes it seems that folks think you need a pfd even if you're within seeing distance of water.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.