NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it is just me but been surprised by the numbers of boaters I have been seeing with no life jackets? Been taking my breakfast at the marina not far from home watching the ducks and people.... wow seen some funny shenanigans at the ramp lately too (another thread maybe) but have been watching not only pleasure boats but bass boat after bass boat put in and leave wide open with no life jackets?
In two weekends probably seen like 60 boats launch or come in and only saw one life jacket?
Is it just a NC thing?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I 'll bet the majority of the folks you saw sans PDF were under 40 years old. The reality of one's own mortality usually doesn't kick in
until around that age or even a little later. Veterans do a little better, but not much. Men, speaking from experience, please wear your PFD. When the accident's happening its too late to put it on. I got thrown from my boat into 60F water several years ago and believe me, you can't swim in water even that cold. Had I not been wearing my PFD I'd be growing daisies right now. If you get knocked out or injured, You Are Dead, it doesn't matter how good a shape you're in. Put it on, men.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
State boating law anyone under 13 must have one on at all times while under way, other wise a PFD is to be stored where it can be reached easily ,kayaks are the same way you do not have to be wearing one but it has to be within reach and in good shape.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I grew up sitting on mine because the metal cross seat of the boat was hard on my skinny but t. This was a time though when there were no pads on the corners like today.

I just recently purchased an manual inflatable pfd. Until then my pfd was behind my kayak seat. Mainly cuz it's in the way when worn. And I can't see getting into a predicament in the yak that would require an auto inflate.

But I still do not wear it in the boat. It could be time to put on the regular pfd when moving though. The manual inflate could just help drag you down if you can't pull the cord.

mikeski

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
I grew up sitting on mine because the metal cross seat of the boat was hard on my skinny but t. This was a time though when there were no pads on the corners like today.

I just recently purchased an manual inflatable pfd. Until then my pfd was behind my kayak seat. Mainly cuz it's in the way when worn. And I can't see getting into a predicament in the yak that would require an auto inflate.

But I still do not wear it in the boat. It could be time to put on the regular pfd when moving though. The manual inflate could just help drag you down if you can't pull the cord.

mikeski
an auto inflate or manual inflate is only exceptable and legal when worn other wise its like being on the water without one and you can get a ticket if stopped ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
an auto inflate or manual inflate is only exceptable and legal when worn other wise its like being on the water without one and you can get a ticket if stopped ;)
Any chance you can get me that statute number, I was looking for it a while back and couldn't find it.

On the topic at hand. I'm and adult, I know and understand the risks, and I choose whether or not to wear a PFD. It should be the same with motorcycle helmets and seat belts but the government has decided that we are too stupid to make those choices for ourselves.
Why don't I wear my PFD? It really doesn't matter because it's my choice. I'm not going to bother arguing about whether or not it's a good idea, because I do believe that it is, but I will say that I accept responsibility for my decision. If my fishing partner for the day chooses to put one on, I don't even give it a thought. I also tell everybody on my boat my safety equipment is located.

Life is dangerous, evaluate the risks and decide for yourself how big your bubble should be.

·
Registered
247 Posts
fr 61fr13931
I appreciate that, though it leaves me only slightly better informed.
The FR itself is only a suggestion by the Coast Guard:
These standards allow for approval of inflatable PFDs which are more amendable to continuous wear by recreational boaters than inherently buoyant PFDs, thereby encouraging use of PFDs by the boating public
but it did point to 46 CFR Part 160, which is codified law, as reference:
§ 160.076-7 PFD Approval Type. said:
(a)An inflatable PFD may be approved without conditions as a Type I, II, or III PFD for persons over 36 kg (80 lb) if it meets the requirements of this subpart.
(b) Each inflatable PFD that can be demonstrated to meet the in-water performance requirements of a type I, II or III PFD in UL 1180 (incorporated by reference, see § 160.076-11) during approval testing and the applicable requirements of this subpart provided that certain conditions are placed on its use, may be approved as a Type V PFD. Each such PFD has conditional approval.

§ 160.076-9 Conditional approval said:
(a) A conditionally approved inflatable PFD is categorized as a Type V PFD and may be used to meet the Coast Guard PFD carriage requirements of 33 CFR part 175 only if the PFD is used in accordance with any requirements on the approval label. PFDs marked “Approved only when worn” must be worn whenever the vessel is underway and the intended wearer is not within an enclosed space if the PFD is intended to be used to satisfy the requirements of 33 CFR part 175. Note: Additional approved PFDs may be needed to satisfy the requirements of 33 CFR part 175 if “Approved only when worn” PFDs are not worn.
(b) PFDs not meeting the performance specifications for type I, II, or III PFDs in UL 1180 (incorporated by reference, see §160.076-11) may be classified as Type V, conditionally approved PFDs, when the Commandant determines that the performance or design characteristics of the PFD make such classification appropriate.
It appears that not all inflatables are created equal. The Cabela's Guardian Series Tournament 3500 is marked as a Type II not a Type V, I have inferred from this that it does not have to be worn to meet the carriage requirement.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Any chance you can get me that statute number, I was looking for it a while back and couldn't find it.

On the topic at hand. I'm and adult, I know and understand the risks, and I choose whether or not to wear a PFD. It should be the same with motorcycle helmets and seat belts but the government has decided that we are too stupid to make those choices for ourselves.
Why don't I wear my PFD? It really doesn't matter because it's my choice. I'm not going to bother arguing about whether or not it's a good idea, because I do believe that it is, but I will say that I accept responsibility for my decision. If my fishing partner for the day chooses to put one on, I don't even give it a thought. I also tell everybody on my boat my safety equipment is located.

Life is dangerous, evaluate the risks and decide for yourself how big your bubble should be.
In the case of helmets and seatbelts, insurance companies decided that it cost them less to pay for the laws than to pay out the claims. If the lack of PFDs starts to dent their bottom line significantly we will eventually be required to wear them just as with helmets and seatbelts.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Imo the seat belt and helmet laws are not nearly the same as pfd laws.
I've mentioned before, and taken some heat for, my disdain for laws stating I have to have a pfd on my kayak while I'm in a shallow and protected Creek. A cushion, which I understand, are OK on a boat are no acceptable for a kayak. A vest is too hot imo so I got a cushion only to find out it's no good for a kayak.
The way I see it there will be a law fairly soon requiring kayaker wear helmets.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I sometimes think the downfall of society has been the governments laws forcing those who don't have enough common sense to do it for themselves, to wear protection devices. Without the law they would be dead and not scumming up the gene pool and we would all be better off..
*bear in mind this is being written by someone who just got $161 ticket for no seat belt. Never wore a helmet or pads on my bikes or skateboards. Got grounded when he was 11 for jumping my Moms Buick wagon with my dirtbike on a homemade ramp. Has flipped 2 1960s era cars at over 100mph with no seat belt and walked away. and more.... so not sure what category that puts me in but that's my opinion HAhahaha!!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have to be honest. My main issue with life jackets is ventilation. The one I have now is like wearing a parka. I hate it. It's the main deterrent with wearing it. I've been looking at the manually inflated jackets for that reason but I'm finding a lot of negative reviews on them. Are there life jackets made out of breathable material? I have to admit I haven't looked much.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I sometimes think the downfall of society has been the governments laws forcing those who don't have enough common sense to do it for themselves, to wear protection devices. Without the law they would be dead and not scumming up the gene pool and we would all be better off..
*bear in mind this is being written by someone who just got $161 ticket for no seat belt. Never wore a helmet or pads on my bikes or skateboards. Got grounded when he was 11 for jumping my Moms Buick wagon with my dirtbike on a homemade ramp. Has flipped 2 1960s era cars at over 100mph with no seat belt and walked away. and more.... so not sure what category that puts me in but that's my opinion HAhahaha!!!
I think that would be the "wild man" category which isnt a bad thing imo.
You are also honest and seem to be OK with paying the man when you are pinned for do g something you believe in.
I am of the opinion that seat belts and helmets save the lives of others that are in the car or on the bike. If it were ONLY the individual that chose to not wear a seat belt or helmet that was damaged and/or killed in a wreck then I'd say go without. The truth is that I may be at fault in a minor accident but the person I wrecked got severely hurt due to their decision to not follow the law. Then I get hammered for their decision. That's not being personally responsible imo.
BTW is a seat belt ticket a moving violation/insurance hit? Just wondering.
If I drown in the creek I fish in it would be because I made a very bad mistake. There are no boats that can swamp me and I can swim the whole Creek if need be. I'm not wearing a pfd and that's m decision. If I get pinned I pay and I accept this as the price for not sweating to death.
I read some reviews and decided to pick up this one.
http://www.rei.com/outlet/search.html?ir=q:mti+slipstream&outlet=true&page=1&q=mti+slipstream

I swear as I get older I'm turning into such a wuss. I think a lot about visibility of other boats seeing me on the water. I was really happy that my yak is orange and my life vest is gonna be yellow.
I hear that. If I kayaked in crowded waters I would wear dayglo everything as well as a strobe on my helmet and one of those flags kids put on their bikes. The icw is mayhem and I wouldn't feel safe paddling in it for anything more than a quarter mile or so. Some yahoo with a brandy new boat could puree you and never noticed it happened. That's a bad day too.
I'd like to lobby for a pfd law ammendment that makes a pfd optional in certain waters and mandatory in others.
What about the sup? If you are paddling anywhere other than in the surf you must wear a pfd. If you are in the surf with one then no pfd required. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I really don't like talking about this because it gives me the eby jeebies a little. When I was at our clubs booth at the fly show when it was in Raleigh this guy came by with his daughter. We were about the same age and he was obviously really enthused about fly fishing. We talked some and he really stood out in my mind mainly because of the similarities to what we had going on in life and our passion for fishing in general. The very next day he went kayaking on Falls and went missing. People heard someone screaming for help as it was getting dark and boats searched into the night but couldn't find him. A few days later he was found drowned. It was February and he had a dry suit and life vest in his kayak still. They think he took them off because it was a balmy warm day in winter. The kind we have where the weather jumps in the 70's. They think he fell out of the kayak and the water was so cold he went into shock and couldn't get back in the boat or became disoriented. The water had to be 40 or some where around there.

I just saw the guy the day before with his daughter. This story haunts me to this day and I think about it whenever I'm on the water.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I really don't like talking about this because it gives me the eby jeebies a little. When I was at our clubs booth at the fly show when it was in Raleigh this guy came by with his daughter. We were about the same age and he was obviously really enthused about fly fishing. We talked some and he really stood out in my mind mainly because of the similarities to what we had going on in life and our passion for fishing in general. The very next day he went kayaking on Falls and went missing. People heard someone screaming for help as it was getting dark and boats searched into the night but couldn't find him. A few days later he was found drowned. It was February and he had a dry suit and life vest in his kayak still. They think he took them off because it was a balmy warm day in winter. The kind we have where the weather jumps in the 70's. They think he fell out of the kayak and the water was so cold he went into shock and couldn't get back in the boat or became disoriented. The water had to be 40 or some where around there.

I just saw the guy the day before with his daughter. This story haunts me to this day and I think about it whenever I'm on the water.
That's the point that trumps the "individual choice" point. If you're single with no dependents and no one who particularly cares if you stick around very long then, yea, do what you want as long as you don't hurt someone else. On the other hand if you have family or close friends maybe wear the PFD/seatbelt/helmet for them, if not for yourself.
That being said I don't wear a PDF except in really dicey situations so I might well drown if I fall off my soapbox.

Reactions: Swampin'
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.