NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, did exactly what i said i was gonna do, and came up with just about nothin'.

if you read my other post, you'll know what i did.

Anyways, we went out at mile hammock, almost grounded at salliers bay. tossed out carolina rigs w/ mullet. no fish. tossed out top dog jr. and 'walked the dog'...nothin. tossed out that 3'' gulp.. nothin.

went to howards bay.. and came up with 2 keeper flounder on the gulp but didnt set the hook and couldnt bring them into the boat.

anchored at the right of mile hammock.. caught a shark on carolina rig and only nibbles on gulp..

What am i doing wrong???

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm a big fan of GULP jerk shad on a 1/4oz yellow/orange jig. I've done best on the falling tide. Cast to the edge of the grass, most (90%+) of the fish I've caught are within 2-3 feet of the bank.

I've never fished top water, but from what I've read first light is awesome for it.

Also maybe try some of the creeks and creek mouths farther up the river. Not sure what size boat your running but French, and SW Creeks are good if you have a bigger boat. Others are good but can be tricky getting into if you draft more than 1.5 feet. Some you need a lot less than that.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Sometimes the fish just don't bite, especially if it's a full moon.
On Mon. & Tues had a great top water bite both with Blues & Reds. Found them busting bait almost on every stop.
Thurs the big skunk appeared on my boat, could not find them anywhere & the wind changed to SW at 10 knots, making it difficult to see them.

PS; topwaters are not only for first light if you find a hungry school of fish ....... ICM

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
the relentless heat, the full moon, boating pressure from holidays, all can add up to make fishing tough!

Reactions: KingOfTheRiver12

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
agree with all of you guys.. and i have some gulp shap that i used a lil bit but also nothing on it.. it could have just been time of day, and things adding up. high tide at salliers bay was around 10' something.. we really werent keeping track of time.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Well not for nothing but if you want to go back and fish the tide turn you should have kept track this time. But I think you learned at least two lessons, Salliers Bay isn't the best spot to fish and in the summertime especially get out at sunrise(or before) and fish 3 hours and go home

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Not being sarcastic, I am serious. You can look through all of the topwater reports I have made over the years,(with pictures) and most are midday topwater fishing. One thing is for sure though, it does not matter what time of day it is, a redfish is going to strike it if you are throwing where fish are. If you are not where fish are, it is not going to matter much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
happy now... me and my pop were at the dock at around 8:30 and LOADS of redfish were chasing after schools of pogeys and mullet. we eached casted in some of that GULP 3'' shrimp(which we use alot and recharge), and BAM my dad gets a strike from this 25'' red. we were pretty rusty and had'nt caught any in awhile so we had a blast getting bites on every throw..even got half of my 5" jerk shad bitten off by someting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not being sarcastic, I am serious. You can look through all of the topwater reports I have made over the years,(with pictures) and most are midday topwater fishing. One thing is for sure though, it does not matter what time of day it is, a redfish is going to strike it if you are throwing where fish are. If you are not where fish are, it is not going to matter much.
I believe you... I guess I never really paid attention to the time part of your reports. May have something to do with the loads of awesome pics attached to them.

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
I pay attention to every detail of peoples pics,weather, wind, areas,grass,oyster beds,points, lure, rod, line, how they rig said lure. read how they work that lure,tide...and so on. Because of all this info each time i go out,which is whenever i can, i practice what ive learned and has dramatically inproved my catching and alot, now its becoming second nature,but i still..watch and learn. :)

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The Bread Man knows! He speaks the truth.
Been fishing the same top water lure every time out because it's still working for me .......
2 blow ups after 10 am today with only 1 hook up ...... a cute little Mini Me Red ......... Food Vertebrate Fin Fish Seafood
.......ICM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.