NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a recent casting session on the grass...our lines were so "sticky" they were intolerable.

I used a Cortland Fly Line cleaning pad, which usually works great....but it did no good at all. Twice.... Hmmm? So, following the usual advice from line companies, I stripped off the line into a sink of water with just a hint of mild soap....then wiped the line dry. Worked great. The line is back to normal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
After a recent casting session on the grass...our lines were so "sticky" they were intolerable.

I used a Cortland Fly Line cleaning pad, which usually works great....but it did no good at all. Twice.... Hmmm? So, following the usual advice from line companies, I stripped off the line into a sink of water with just a hint of mild soap....then wiped the line dry. Worked great. The line is back to normal.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I have an old Pflueger Medalist that was my grandfathers. The fly line on it is an OLD(in all honesty probably 40+ years) DT line that was so gummed up and dirty it was nearly unusable. My dad remembers the fly line on the reel from when he was a boy, he was born in '49. I used a fly line cleaning pad from Rio on it, probably a dozen times and it was still dirty. I filled a large rubbermaid tub with hot-ish water and some dawn. The fly line soaked for 30 min or so before I used an old microfiber wash cloth on it another dozen times through the wash cloth. Made a world of difference. I am not going to say the line is spotless, but its MUCH cleaner than it was and still definitely usable. Treated it with some fly line dressing and she was good to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.