NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently discovered that my rod tip line guide insert is missing on my prevail surf rod. I've searched online with no luck for a replacement any ideas?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just have a tip put on it. You can do it yourself but if it makes you nervous it's not expensive. $10-20 at many tackle shops. They will heat your old one and pull it off , not cut the rod.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Just don't use hot melt glue.
Use a 5 or 15 minute epoxy. It can still be heated up and taken off but it's not as low heat melt as hot melt glue and it will hold much better.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
A good tackle shop should be able to replace...as Sundrop said...in just a few minutes. Although I deal primarily with fly fishing tackle, I keep some other style tips in stock for spinning and casting rods cause customers come in with missing and broken tips. If there is no one close, or you don't want to wait till you get to coast...order one from one of the companies like Mud Hole. It's an easy do it yourself task once you figure out or measure the correct size replacement. I have found tip replacement "kits" in Wal-mart in the past.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Use a 5 or 15 minute epoxy. It can still be heated up and taken off but it's not as low heat melt as hot melt glue and it will hold much better.
Excellent advice here. For this reason I'd do it myself and not let a tackle shop touch it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I also agree with this. The hot melt glue is real easy but it doesn't bond as well and the tip will rotate off center if stored with torque on it, especially if you store in a hot car or trunk.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mudhole.com (as previously stated) is one of the best place to go for new guides and rod repair needs. They have a DIY tutorial section as well. It would be worth your time to check it out.

-James Peavy-

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Just put a rubber band on the tip and stretch it. (Don't aim it at yourself.:() Now use a lighter or candle constantly moving it up and down the tip until it flies off. This way you won't over heat the tip and break it. Don't use a heat gun.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Or just a pair of pliers and you don't have to worry about shooting a flaming tip at anyone. Lol which ever suits you better

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Or just a pair of pliers and you don't have to worry about shooting a flaming tip at anyone. Lol which ever suits you better
You still need to heat it, most factory rods will use some type of 5 minute epoxy for tips. I wouldn't dare attempt to remove a tip from a rod with just pliers unless it was placed on with some really weak adhesive.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You still need to heat it, most factory rods will use some type of 5 minute epoxy for tips. I wouldn't dare attempt to remove a tip from a rod with just pliers unless it was placed on with some really weak adhesive.
Yeah well I meant the pliers to hold the tip while heating instead of loading it in a rubberband. Hah

1 - 13 of 13 Posts