NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am running into two issues with sponge reels and line knotting up and unravleing. One is using mono for top water walk the dog. This is a new spool and I am only using it for walk the dog, I switch spools when throwing cranks on same rod. I am also running into tangle issues on my braid on a rod I am using for a frog. I use power pro braid and Suffix mono.

Am I just not getting the line put on well or is there a trick I need to employ with both these top water presentations???

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
sounds like line twist from not using a swivel, not manually closing the bail, and pulling line against the drag or all of the above. Or possibly spooling the reels wrong off the new spool of line.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like line twist from not using a swivel, not manually closing the bail, and pulling line against the drag or all of the above. Or possibly spooling the reels wrong off the new spool of line.
So a swivel should be used with spooks and frogs??? Nap swivel at the terminal end or a barrel swivel to a leader to the tackle?

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
One of the worst things about spooks and frogs is that you reel up the slack before twitching again, which leads to soft spools. I usually try to reel back with just a touch of tension on the "slack" line. I use braid for top water with a mono or fluro leader. Unless you need the distance filling the spool jut a little short helps some.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
One of the worst things about spooks and frogs is that you reel up the slack before twitching again, which leads to soft spools. I usually try to reel back with just a touch of tension on the "slack" line. I use braid for top water with a mono or fluro leader. Unless you need the distance filling the spool jut a little short helps some.

Darrell
Agree. Sometimes, I'll make a long cast and pinch the line to provide extra tension while reeling in to pack the line back on the spool.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I run into similar problems when using my spinning reels for anything other than constant tension lures. Not much you can do except to cast and reel strait in now and then to get rid of the loose stuff.

mikeski

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
+1, everything mentioned above can lead to line twist. When I spool a spinning reel I lay the filler spool flat on the ground (always forget if it should be label up or down) I wind on about 20 cranks and then let some slack between the rod tip and the spool to see if it is twisting, if so I turn the spool over and check again. If the line has been on the reel for a long time that can lead to issues with spool memory. Overfilling can cause issues aswell.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
a shot of Reel Magic might help also. From time to time tie on a 2 oz sinker and chunk it out as far as you can a few times or if you have a place where you can, tie off and walk the line off the reel and respool it. With a boat you can just feed it out as you go and let it untwist but you have to get creative when you are shorebound. Are you using Mono? I tried some Vicious copolymer on one of mine and it was a nightmare of curling unspooling madness..

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just started after every fourth throw or so tossing it out and reeling back with fingers holding line to tighten it up. Worked great today plus pulling a little mono off the one rod made the spook less tangling.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The KVD line conditioner is a must have. Especially when the water starts getting algae and crap in it. Top water lures and spinning reels are already a disaster waiting to happen so gotta use everything you can to help, clean-well lubricated line really helps. If you can afford to get a decent bait casting reel, you'll love the many advantages, especially topwater fishing

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I just can't bring myself to trust every label to be on the correct side (or my memory for that matter). I stand spool up on circular side and pull off some line. I then point my spinning reel at the spool and make sure it spins in the same direction the line comes off the spool. The side pointing to the reel goes up in a bucket of water.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I seem to have unending issues when it comes to spooling spinning reels myself. No matter what way I set the spool, spin the handle, etc, there's always a horrible twist problem. Now I just take the spools to bass pro and have them put the line on for me. Pretty much eliminates the line twist and they do it for free if you have your own line. Not sure how close you live to bass pro, but you can always buy a spooling station and do it yourself at home. Saves hours of frustration

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
About the only thing I buy a spool of line for is a levelwind 6500 ABU. 300 yards of 30 pound power pro fills it.
All my non levelwind reels and other levelwinds I have them spooled.
By the time you buy a spool of line and are left with 50 yards on the spool that is good for nothing, you aint saved much if anything if you count your time.

Sometimes I run into 50% off deals on power pro if they spool it.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I solved the issue with spinning reels by tackling the learning curve on baitcasters. I throw a Texas rig much of the time, and the line coil from spinning reels just drives me bananas, so I learned to use a baitcaster when I was 15. The first month I cussed it; the next 28 years I have loved it.

That being said, for loading a spinning reel spool, just point the reel directly at the line spool and make sure how your reel winds the line is opposite how the line comes off the line spool. If your reel winds counterclockwise, then make sure the line is coming off the line spool clockwise and you're good.

For slack line baits like spooks and frogs, I always use baitcasters for this very reason. Not a direct answer to the question, but there are inherent downsides to each type of reel. This is one example where spinning reels are most problematic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.