NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to cut down on the size of my fly box and save wt on the tie. I have seen something similar on big game fish and I adapted it from a 6 to 8 wt fly rod. First for the materials size one hook, Polar flash, craft fur. I was out of white craft fur select so I layered standard craft fur material on the shank.

Jam knot

tie in the polar Flash and the green craft fur

Cut the cylinder foam (1/2 inch) and you'll need coffee stir stick. I use a small screw driver to make a hole in the center of the foam ,make sure the stir stick will inserts fairly easily . I then take a small amount of GOOP and apply it to the end section extending out of the foam and pull it back in inside of the foam ...do not recess the stir stick past flush!! Clip the long end of the stir stick and your done!! I thread the leader inside the foam head and tie the streamer on . Snug the eye of the hook onto the foam. Weed guard is optional. Saturday was the first time I used it and the results were good!! I increased the size of the hook from a size 2 to 1. Three on and fun!

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Very cool idea! Does it move like an articulated fly? I saw a similar setup on Youtube a couple weeks ago, where a guy was making the poppers out of heat shrink tubing and filling with foam. He was fishing for toothy critters, though, otherwise I don't think the heat shrink would be necessary.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Will the popper move or is it stationary once it's slid onto the hook? I'm picturing this as being able to slide. If that is the case I can see it being multi functional. The first being the popper as intended and second being worked like a popping cork. A slip bobber stopper above it at 18-24 inches would allow you to pop it and then the fly would slowly sink down.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have taken a full piece of foam cylinder and made it into a Redfish popping cork with 80 lbs leader wire and beads and put brass beads on the shaft to help it upright. I have landed some Reds on it...the problem is it's difficult to fly cast. I try to snug the foam head into the straw and so far it does stay put...I might give it a try and let it slide around , it could be interesting !! If you would like I can take some pics of the fly rod popping cork and post them.

Johathan , it is rigid unless I can build on the idea from Trigger! . I think I can design one to preform like you are describing and not slide on the leader. What great ideas you guys are coming up with!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
IM not into fly fishing.. but man you guys come up with some beautifully crafted fish getters! I find it hard not to pop in on these threads to check out the inventive craftsmanship! Well done.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Alotahp, you need to get into fly fishing and fly tying. I can see enough interest in you to know it would be addictive to you.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alotahp... That is one of the great things about fly fishing! Custom make your flies to meet a need and try them out and see how they do! Its a great feeling to design a fly and see it catch fish!! You are in the middle of Redfish country...if you ever get a notion to fly fish just look us up. It's not hard but just another technique ! Thanks for the positive comments!!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The big problem most people thinks its too expensive. It can be unless you have an experienced fly fisher in your corner. For less than 100.00 you can have a good fly rod set up ,reel and line included. 150.00 will get you a nice out fit. 200.00 will find a great outfit. I use the 100.00 outfits! it winds up being what fits your style of casting. Sure the more expensive rods will cast a bit better but I can cast 70 ft + . I love a IM 6 blank med fast action. I guess I'm more of the old school.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts