NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Welcome to the board

Man theres some great fishing out that way. You might also want to go the the Game Warden Station on Ft Bragg and check out the many lakes on Bragg.

Also the Little River runs thru the North side of Bragg and a lot of acces areas. :cool: Should be able to put a canoe in way up river and float down and catch a lot of fish. Talk to the warden station about that also.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah being stationed at Seymour, Pope wouldn't be that bad of a drive. I've seen some of the ponds on google earth that are actually on the base. Give us a report if you could please might have to make a trip on down there and if they have a boat launch of some sort. Either bring the boat or canoe.
Thanks BA1

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
If I remember right that stretch of the little river goes up towards Lillington. Lots of places to put in or take out. Lots of fish, casting beetle spins is a great way to pass a day. On this type of water bass, bream, redbellies, catfish all will hit the beetle spin.

tight lines and good luck<*))))))>{

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea i cast a lot of spinners and bettle spins but i do the best on 4 to 6" soft platics, mostly 6" Zoom cotton candy's. yea i have fished all the lakes of Ft. Bragg and do really well. a lot of nice fishing and the lakes really do't see the pressure that public lakes see. you can drop a boat in many of the lakes. my buddy has a 18' bass tracker and we drop it in most places. but i love the moving water of the little river the fish are so strong, and the river is always changing. We usually wade it in mid summer but i am looking forward to putting my pontoon in there this summer.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Good deal

Mott Lake is always a good bet once you figure them out. Maybe the best lake of them all is the one at the Rod and Gun Club, McKellers Pond. Put the boat in there and ease around, caught a many one on buzz baits, white:cool:

That pond is a sleeper because of the ducks and geese that people feed. Lots of bass in that pond. It was electro shocked 15 years ago and several large bass (10 lb) were shocked. My buddy worked at the Warden Station and told me, but I fished it a lot before that.

tight lines<*)))))>{

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea man my buddy pulled a 10lb 4oz. out of there 3 summers ago, i haven't fished it much since i guess cause i like to relax and get away there are a few others like quail, deer pen, and hurly that are out of the way and no one knows about them, but i will diffenatly be hitting McKellers up this summer. thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I'm waiting for boundary lake to open up in June. It's right around the corner from my house. Matter of fact I believe it's on the opposite side of my house.:D

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boundry Lake huh? i have never heard of that one....where is that located? i will have to hit that one up in June! my pontoon should be here next week so i am excited to put that thing on the water and paddle around a little bit and see if i can't bring in a few large mouth. these bragg lakes are way under rated though, there are diffenatly a lot of good fish to be caught!!!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
One of the best lakes for bass and crappie is Smith Lake, but I don't think you can fish it any more. You might want to ask at the Ranger station to make sure.

I have fished it for 30 years so that should tell you the size of the fish in the lake. I have caught crappie by the dozens and all 1-2 pounds each.

How about the lakes on Camp MacKall, The Big and Little Muddy, Moss Gill, check them out also. Some great out of the way bass fishing in Big Muddy. Check them out also. I had almost forgot about them.

tight lines

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Boundary lake is located on McArthur road. McArthur is the backroad that leads from north fayetteville to spring lake. Used to be a helicopter landing area across the street from the entrance.

According to Bragg wildlife webpage, Smith lake is for swimming only. NO fishing.

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Let me sling this out for size-------McFaden Pond on forgot the road, has a kiddy park there, and right past is a Gas Station, its a BULLFROG MECCA, or use to be. We would gig a wad of frogs from that pond.

Then we would go around Bragg frog gigging all the ponds until the wee hours of the morning.:rolleyes: Check with the Game warden station about giging and make sure the areas are open.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Smith Lake re-opened this year, my buddy and i went out there the weekend before last....remember the one when we had like 100mph winds and tryed it. we caught a few small bass on minnows but we didn't get any crappie in the boat. but i would love to get on some crappie, i haven't caught any nice ones since i came to NC. that lake is a pretty one though!!! getting a boat on a trailer in those winds was not an easy task to accomplish!!! but maybe we will have better luck next time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Scott, gigging frogs is one thing i have never tryed, but sounds like a good time, i have always wanted to try some frog legs. can you use a regular flash light or do you have to use a red lens? my buddies and i will have to try that this summer. those things pretty easy to clean?.......thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.