NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long time I have been wondering why in the world nobody makes a jighead more like a spro bucktail that sits completely horizontal when it hangs. I have thought this would make more sense for popping cork fishing as sometimes the bait is sitting there and it would look un natural to have it sitting there under the cork totally vertical. Well tonight I filled up the kitchen sink and did a little testing. First I tried a sea striker jighead on a zman minnowz. The sea striker jighead has the eye totally on top of the head. Also zman material is buoyant so much to my surprise the lure floated under the line tail high! Opposite of what I thought it would do. Then I took a bass pro shops swimbait and put in on a Blue water candy X eye jighead. It sat there tail pointed toward down. No Good. Then I took the Zman Minnowz and paired it with blue water candy jighead. It sat totally horizontal under the line. :) Now I can quit thinking about this little hangup I've had. I will be using this soft plastic jighead combo when I'm popping cork fishing from now on. I've had a good luck with the glow DOA shrimp under the cork as well but I don't like when a 2 or 3 dollar skrimp gets tore up from one redfish.. I should quit being lazy and get a bunch of DOA shrimp bodies I guess.. Any ways I can fish popping corks with more confidence from now on because I won't be worried about the lure sitting there at funky angles. How's that for a long, useless to most people post?? :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ive always though it odd that jig heads rig shrimp forward, when they actually swim backwards anyway.. I sometimes hook my shrimp under a popper like I would a real one so it bends and scoots more realistically when popped but they also come off easier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts