NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Put in at the town launch down at Havens Garden. Head to the Waterfront and start fishing from bridge to bridge..LOL!! I caught all of the above today. And so did about 12 other boats!:(..more info to follow :)

Reactions: Joe's Back Office

·
Registered
186 Posts
Somebody has got to fill me in. Are these the same kind of stripers im used to catching up north off Cape Cod. By that i mean is it similiar to the blues down here. Up north you got the big choppers down here for the most part you got the snappers. Are these the smaller ones that stick around longer and wait for the big ones to come down in january.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Surf, we have Stripers year round. We don't get the monsters like you do up north except for the Outer Banks area if they migrate that far south.( Last year was poor) But we have alot of "funfish" and even 20++lb when the time is right like the Roanoke river spawn..
They are the good old convicts all dressed up and ready to work!!
So, yes, much like the Blues...
I caught 2 in Washington today.... not huge, but a better fight than a 8lb largemouth!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Handy, I wouldn't call it "secrets"..LOL Just basic, old fashioned fishing. Think like a hungry fish... "What would I have available here to eat?", "How hard am I willing to work to eat it?" How will my attitude toward prey change with todays weather/time of year/water temp...
I use alot of live/Bio baits too. I also have no problem watching other boats around me to see what they are doing, even if I use binoculars to do it. Many don't consider that "sporting". I don't like to turn something fun into too much work. I'd rather find a nice spot that looks right for the conditions, drop anchor and work it rather than "run n gun". I also don't usually go with the mindset of catching one specific species or I've had a bad day..... But I've never had a nice tall, comfy seat with a foot controlled troller to work with either.... I'm sure that makes a big difference!! Hard to get "skunked" if your willing to resort to a red wiggler and a bobber if all else fails....LOL!
I also read every single post made to this site whether I think it's relevant or not and I have learned more than a little from these great folks!!! But I'm willing to share!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Right on. You said it. I never target one specific species UNLESS it is Catfish. They are less picky than other fish. Usually i will take a few rods with me. Set up a top water float and a few bottom rigs to just sit there and then i will hook up a crank bait, buzzbait, or spinner on a rod to keep with me and work that while the others "lye in wait" I RARELY come home empty handed. But I also would love to have some days it sounds like you have.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Handy, sounds like we can fish together just fine.. But big cats can be VERY picky. Especially blues...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes the big ones are. And I might even have to say flatheads might be picker then blues.. tough call. Hey, did you see that photo of that big one a female caught in the members photos section.. i need to go where they are going. get up with me later, i will give you my schedule because it rotates and if you wanna try to get on the water together it would be great. im off sunday and monday this week so i have sunday and tues next week and so on.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
It is under the "Info" drop down menu. :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes I figured that out last night. It would be nice to have a feature on the members list with locations, but i quiclly moved onto another subject when I seen someone had posted that you could find inlets, boat ramps, etc on Google Earth. So I downloaded it Last night and surfed the earth till after midnight. I am a big fan of topographic maps but that deal is really awesome. If you dont have it, you need to get it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.