NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Night Crawlers or Crickets.

Got word that one of my ponds that is slam full of good size panfish is being drained for dam repairs. They told me to clean out everything I could because they are stocking it back with crappie at my request.

If your intention was to catch as many crappie shellcrackers and blue gills as you could in a day which would you use?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Meal worms or similar grubs. Maggots (you can get them at the pet store for reptiles; clean and fragrance free) are the best. But it is hard to beat a fly rod for efficiency while there are big numbers. When they thin out a little, nothing beats grubs.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Throw some breado or something in the water and get a feeding frezy going, then use a small hook with a white piece of bacon. They cant snatch that bacon off the hook like they can a worm or bread and you dont have to keep rebaiting.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Considering you need to catch CRAPPIE as well as shells and gils then the only real option as far as live bait goes is small minnows. Crappie will very rarely hit worms or crickets and all of the species love minnows. Catch them yourself with a little net and rig them under a small bobber.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
A little messy, but my vote is for crawler chunks. same reason as Bruce suggested the flyrod and popper set-up you can usually slide the bait back down on the hook and get several fish with one chunk.

Fly rod I like white or black spiders as well as poppers.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Most creek fed ponds will do alright if they are established before stocking.
But you can flat ruin a good pond with crappie quick.

I wouldn't do it shooting from the hip. I'd be talking with the county extension office and probably NC State.
They can tell you how it needs to be stagger stocked, how much to stock, and how much needs to be removed on a yearly basis.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stocking plan is already payed for. the people that own the land have other things going on here so they must fix the dam. They ask me what to put in it that fish well, taste good and repopulate easily. My first answer was channel cats, they didnt like that answer so I told them crappie with the understanding by year 2 ill have to start keeping several fish per trip there and they were cool with that.

Biggest problem we can see is there isnt a predator that naturally targets crappie. There tendency to be difficult to locate in the water column is what the biologist said. So were gonna drop a couple flat heads in because they adapt to the available food source.

And dont worry WM ill have beetle spins ready.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.