NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a question for all you guys out there that catch there own bait. If I get an air pump and a round bucket how long will mud minnows and other wild caught baitfish last in the bucket? I have bought minnow trap for me and my daughter to mess around with and was hoping to catch enough bait at night to use the next day and was wondering how long they would last.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
Mud minnows will last a lot longer than finger mullet. Don't overload your aerated bucket with fingers. I keep only a dozen or so in a 5 gallon bucket and will restock around low tide.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I've kept 3 dozen mud minnows in a 5 gallon bait bucket without aeration for 3 months. All I would do is give them fresh water every time I went fishing. I finally used all of them. The specks I was fishing for showed strong favoritism towards 17mr's so it took a while to go through the minnows. Stevef started saying I was cruel for fishing with what had become my pets.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Mud minnows will last you easy, but menhaden...forget about it. They die as quick as you can take them out of the water unless you have a nice livewell and constant water flow.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Those mud minnows lasted so long in a bucket on Trigger's boat, I started getting attached to them. They are hardy little things; I used to buy them by the quart at Angler's before crossing the Bay Bridge to fish MD's eastern shore. They would wrap them in wet newspaper and none of them died in transit. Sometimes I'd put them in a flow troll bucket with about a cup of water and they'd use their tails as an aerator. Finger mullet need fresh water circulating constantly to stay alive for several hours, as do shrimp due to their untrained potty habits. With pogies, I just hope my fishing trip ends before they all die.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.