NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the urge to start fishing with live bait (maybe I'll have better luck). Any of you yakers go down that road?

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I've taken minnows a number of times.

Got this tip from an old-timer years ago. I keep a foam minnow bucket inside a 3 gallon plastic work bucket with a good snap-on lid. He told me to use it as a stool for shore fishing, and it would protect the cheap foam bucket during transit. I've had the same bucket set for about 10 years - little $2 foam minnow bucket looks as good as the day i bought it. An added plus is that it keeps the spills down.

I keep the bucket-in-bucket in the tankwell behind me. Its a tough reach back there to catch the little buggers, but you can always pull the foam bucket out to the footwell. And you can use the big bucket as a livewell.

Sometimes those old-timers know what they're talking about!

I've taken the cast net with me on a couple of trips, thinking that if I ran across a school of shad on the surface I might be able to get a little fling on the net and catch a few. Have never deployed tho.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You can also buy the floating minnow bucket that lets the water your in flow thru... I think it helps the minnows adjust to water temp and it keeps them aerated... It just trolls along behind you and is made to hold some water if you stand it up on a surface.

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I went with the floating bucket myself. As sundrop said, the water temp stays stable and the bait is always aerated. If you have to move a long distance I would just pull it in and set it in the cockpit floor.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The Frabill and Plano floating bait buckets produce a LOT of drag compared to my kayak... I'll pull it on board before I do much more than drift... Some folks will perforate a 3" diameter PVC pipe to use as a "bait tube" that has much less drag than the floating buckets.

Occasionally I've taken a small cup of worms... not much to say about it, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.