NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever use live ballyhoo? I've occasionally had the opportunity to try them but it never seemed like the time to expierement. I've never fished with anyone else who was using them. I assumed there was a good reason for this since I know thew are great trolling baits. I also know it takes a fast fish to catch one. ARE THEY TOO FAST? NOT HARDY OR WHAT????..Thanks AL

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
sinker man --- I've never used and Only Guessing. I feel with their overall length and being fast simmers, it would be a problem keeping them alive in the average live bait well.( I always seem to have this free source of live choice pogies close at hand and never worried about other baits)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always felt like they would be hard for most gamefish to catch. I know that they can and do catch them but after watching a porpoise make 4 attempts before catching one I felt like they might be best used for bait when you were attempting to set line class records (let the fish were himself out chasing the bait before hooking him.) LOL Seriously when a fish gets after one they have a trick where they get semi airborne with just the bottom lobe of their tail in the water and they "fly" for 10 to 20 yds. The first time or to I saw them do this I thought that they were flying fish. Then I realized flying fish fly higher off the water. Then an old timer told me what I was actually seeing were ballyhoo and that he had never witnessed a fish take one out of the air but that mahi-mahi would often get them as soon as the re-entered the water. I imagine that wahoo and sailfish would have no problem catching them either. I just haven't spent enough quality time in the cobalt playground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.