NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a few drum yesterday afternoon with a live shrimp under a cork. I was a using a 2/0 circle hook but I had a few that I thought were drum that stole the shrimp.

How do yall hook up a shrimp under a cork? I have heard of people using a treble hook but that sounds like a good way to kill a drum?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's what I use - a 2/0 circle hook. They do great for slot sized drum and any size trout for me. The shrimp seem to be more lively if you hook them just above the tail (so they hang upside down) but it seems if the trout are small or aren't biting aggressively you can get a lost of misses (and a lot of retrieved hooks with only a shrimp tail present). When that is happening I hook behind the horn. And if still missing them and losing shrimp, switch to artificials...

I wouldn't use a treble hook for the reason you state.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
When I use live shrimp I go ahead and figure 75% of my bait will be ripped off my bait thieves and buy or net accordingly. I swear a pinfish can hit like a train and POOF, no bait, no hook up. A big crab will put a bend in your rod too when you set the hook, but again, no bait, no hook up. *sigh..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.