NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Polar Kraft 16ft bass boat and I am having problems with the live well. I can hear the motor running when I turn it to the manual and automatic settings but it is not filling up with water. I tried running the boat in reverse to prime it and no luck. It has two valves in the back of the boat. I put water in it and opened one valve and it drained with no problems. I can't get it to fill with water while I am out fishing. Any thoughts on what I can do to get it working? First time using a boat with a live well so this is new to me. It has a drain in the bottom of the live well and in the top left it has a small tube and another opening which I am assuming is another drain if it gets too much water in it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
2 things to check. First, see if there's a valve on the fill head inside the livewell. Often there is, and it may be turned off. Second, check to see if there is a valve between the water inlet of the boat and the pump. A lot of people might turn this off for various reasons.

·
Registered
876 Posts
There is a shut off valve to the livewell that has to be open to pull water in. At least that's the way mine is plummed. I had same issue when I tried mine out, and almost didn't buy it, but figuring pump was bad I didn't think it was deal breaker. Check the valves in the bilge area, I hope you are pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has two valves in the bilge area. One controls the drain valve and I figured that out by putting water in it with the hose and opening and closing it. The other one is directly in front of what I assume is the water intake as it has a screen over it which I am guessing keeps debris out of it as the water is coming in. I have tried moving the valve back and forth while the boat is in the water with the pump on and have not had any luck. I will keep messing with it and see if I can't get it going. Thanks for the help!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
the vanes may be snapped off of the pump so its spinning but not moving water. Can happen easily if there was water frozen in the pump and it was turned on, especially if the pump is old and plastic is brittle.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It depends on the brand of pump, but I think most modern ones can be opened up pretty easily. If you don't have a manual for the pump, you can probably download a copy from the manufacturers web site. Since it's a brand new boat, you might check with the dealer to get instructions on how it's set up and why it's not working.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
To fill, you need to pump water in, otherwise it will only fill as high as the water line. If you look in the livewell and see 2 nozzles, one is probably a fill pump and the other a recirculate pump. Another possibility is the pump may be wired wrong with polarity reversed which would cause the pump impeller to spin backwards and not move any water. If all else fails, carry it back to the dealer and let them explain it and/or fix it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There are 2 main parts to the live well the pump and the sea cock. 1st make sure your sea cock is open its should be located in your bilge and the handle in line with direction of flow so if you want it open have it open have the handle in the direction of the hose. 2nd live well pumps are " positive displacement pumps' which means they do not require to be primed. So with this knowledge the way i would fix it is 1st check the sea cock if it is open, take one of the hoses and run water down the line to blow whatever obstruction you have out of there, or the pump needs to be replaced on an off chance but being brand new and you hear the pump id try everything else first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.