NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning out the livewell the other day when I noticed a crack running along the bottum and a chip has come out just below the dump out valve(?) on the bottum. I've seen several epoxy and putties,but I believe they are used for the outside of the boat. Any products that you know to work well?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Any marine application epoxy will be fine as long as it is approved for submersion use (most are)
Drill a very small hole at the end of the crack so it will not continue to spread before you epoxy everything..

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I'm always amazed by your knowledge in all things that are of the self help nature. I'm good with sports and math but I sometimes wish I would have gotten that part of my family instead of being an oddball "jock".

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
...I sometimes wish I would have gotten that part of my family instead of being an oddball "jock".
If we were all the same, it'd be a boring place. Can't complement one another that way...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm a "gearhead" and anything mechanical intrigues me. I also had my own bodyshop for 9 yrs but new EPA regulations and the rising cost of materials meant I either had to make a large loan and expand/upgrade and deal with all the stresses of business or let my one helper go and close the doors while I owed no one... So for the last 12 yrs I have just tinkered on projects with my Dad and fixed things here and there for resale or to play with for awhile. I've had 2 hand surgeries and back issues as well as arthritis so I have to limit physical activity and those "projects" take alot longer so I have downsized to keeping the old boat going and little stuff.
Now I wish I had gone to college or at least a tech school and learned a 'trade' that makes better use of my mind and not my hands...LOL!!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I'm intrigued by mechanics as well, how did I just make that stop like that??:D Oh well the repairman will let me know, cause the wife is not allowing me to touch ANYTHING else.:rolleyes: Can tell ya how to attack a defense or the key to stopping certain offenses but that don't make the car run. LOL (The wife claims I have a useless skill set :D:p)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If it's a hairline comsetic crack,,, I wouldnt worry about it too much. Some gel coat filler after you widen the crack out a little. Just apply, let dry then sand down.

Now if it's a "crack-crack" structural... might be a bit more complicated.

One repair kit you simply cannot go wrong with is Marine-Tex. Fill's like putty and is on there/holds anything together for "Life"

If it's a plastic livewell interior box.. might have to undo the systems hoses and replace the tub. If glassed in,, I recommend a competant glass pro to do the work

If an aluminum or metal-ish type box,,, JB Weld... or have a plate/line weld done by a good aluminum shop (Usually top/structure/lean post builders). There are aluminum and marine grade repair/patch kits.. but I'm not that familiar or have used any of those. If it's made by Marine-Tex... I'd trust it without a doubt! ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That Marine tex is good stuff !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.