NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a dream of mine to live in Wyoming, but to get to my point I have to tell a story. Only thing that kept me from heading west as a young man were friends ( should have known better) college and my love for year round flyrodding. I wound up bailing on college because I got tired of being a broke college kid. Decided to do construction for just a year, take a "short" break from school:rolleyes:. Jump ahead 20 years later and an economic collapse, I took a job I really didn't care for. It had state benefits, but I didn't like what I did for a living, and my family likes to be fed, housed and treated to an occasional trip to the beach. For six years I did what I was supposed to do, day in, day out. Recently, I got my promotion, which means I work days now, get a better contract and am in charge. Now to the funny and good part. My wife's employer and several partners are buying a place in Wyoming and now wants us to move out there to run the place. It is a large operation. They want to cater to Fly fishing/ hunting/skiing/ snow-mobiling Christians. One of the owners is a pastor and guide who loves his flyfishing and hunting. My wife would keep the numbers while I would handle the maintenance. Figured it would be a no-brainer if it ever happened. My dilemma, I'm 42 years old and I don't feel like starting over again. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a six year old I would have to uproot from friends and family and being in the middle of an adoption. Why couldn't this happen six years ago:confused:. The owners want us to fly out at the end of the month during the closing and look at the place ( and fish, of course:D) I really need some prayers from some of my website friends for two reasons. one, to allow God to work his plan and two, I am an absolute coward when it comes to flying now:eek:. I had a REALLY bad flight out of O'Hare. Never quite got over it. It even made the news. I"m trying to convince them to let me drive, I'll pick them up at Jackson Hole Airport. ( I can hear the laughter)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dude... you have a chance of a life time.. If that's not a message from God... then your not listening hard enough. I understand the homesteading portion.... however, it seems you've paid your dues! The reason your having a hard time.. your human!
Good luck man!

·
Registered
205 Posts
The will of God always provides perfect peace. Major decisions like this are never easy but your doing the right thing first by looking for prayers and counsel. Talk to your pastor and other godly men. I will pray that there will be peace in the valley.

-James Peavy-

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
If the wife is up for it, take the leap, the 6 yr. old will adjust semi seamlessly and get a chance to grow up with you doing what you love, while living in a wonderful place.

I checked out the site and the location on Google WOW! The rates are great for the Inn. Will ncanglers get a fishing trip thrown in with a visit?

You do know that you will have to come back to NC one of these upcoming springs just so Scott Hobbs can prove to you that Shad do exist.

Darrell

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's been several years since I was through that area. Beautiful country, tough winters, and friendly people.

I hope you find clearness to make the jump.

And, I second the driving. The trip from here to there is worth taking. Lots of country to see and enjoy between here and there.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Do it, the years of being able to chase a dream are falling away fast. I would rather wake up at 50 with memories of trying something that didn't work than wishing I had grabbed the chance. Don't burn bridges here, and you can always come back..

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
never burn the bridges, sometimes it is the only way across to the fishing spot. Seriously, you know every angler on the site would be tickled to have you back if it doesn't work out. But the what if factor will always be digging at you if you don't try it.

Darrell

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
We'd hate to lose you, but couldn't blame you at all. Chance of a lifetime it it works out for you. The shad will still be waiting for you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Go for it. If you don't, you will probably regret it the rest of your life. The kids will get over it. Will miss your presence on the Forum. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've always been too close to family and home.
Deep roots.
Really the main reason I don't live at the coast.

The ocean has pulled hard. I've had offers from a few premier boat builders.
The pull is not strong enough to uproot me from the farm.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
We end up being the lucky ones. I was hoping it would work out for you, but can't help feeling lucky that you've decided to stay in NC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts