NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted this earlier this morning in another forum...:)

Theres a pond that I pass on my way to and from work. Its a ways off the road and you can actually only see it in the fall and winter. I always told myself, if the timing is ever right, i would get out there early one morning.
Well yesterday was the wifes baby shower, and I was the cook. I had to serve 25 ladies! The facility where i work has a full kitchen, and was closer to the location of the shower. AND....I could finally give this big place a try! (always looking for an excuse!)
I get there at 7am, and I see that its actually 2 smaller ponds split with and island and light treeline. All i saw were deer and other animal footprints. No trash, perfect water level and clarity, very nice place. First cast, wham! nice 2lb fish! Second cast, same thing. I proceeded to catch 13 fish in an hour and a half. Largest fish was only about 3lbs. I missed quite a few hookups, and lost a few while reeling in also. Interesting thing is that it was all on one rod, one lure.
Of course I was able to get outta there, cook for 25, drop off my food, mingle with the ladies and help with gifts. All in all, not a bad day.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i'm truly farther north than i care to be. Haymarket, off of I66. With this place, i tell ya, i will tread lightly, and not go frequently. And i'm definitely not giving up exact location to anyone!;) Cept maybe the wife, she loves some bass fishing.:)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sounds like a awesome honey hole for sure! I hope you don't get run off since you didn't mention asking permission.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, honestly, i never asked permission. I did notice however it was the site a huge tower (cell?) which had a small unmarked drive for service or maint. If it were a private resident, definitely would not have even tried.:)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
be careful Giddy... Country folks shoot first and ask ?? later!!.:eek:..LOL:D

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Giddy,

A lot of private land owners have a deal with the wireless companies to allow them space for their towers. That is the case with the locations of a majority of cell phone towers. I would bet you any amount from here to Rocky Mount that the pond is on private land. Just make sure there aren't any abscure posted signs around.

Reactions: militaryman69

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I apreciate the input fellas! i will definitely check into this a bit more and be cautious either way:eek:
Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to save you some heartache! Hey! I would probably sneak in there too if I found a hole like that.

Reactions: GIDDY

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to save you some heartache! Hey! I would probably sneak in there too if I found a hole like that.

Oh yeah.. me too ;)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
be careful Giddy... Country folks shoot first and ask ?? later!!.:eek:..LOL:D

There's signs out that say "Tresspassers will be SHOT - Survivors will be shot again"...
and the season is coming up here for Eastern and Central Season(Oct for hunters back in the woods), so I'm sure the fresh posting of "NO Trespass" signs will be in full bloom in a couple months.

I know for certain during hunting season... tempers flare big time, especially private property encroachments... I'm almost positive folks still get pepper'd by rock salt every now an then as well.... Hard to argue with guys with guns..

If there's deer and on someones' land, especially farmers, it's best to get permission. Some folks (like my uncle) do have nusiance animal permits to cull deer from destroying property "year round"... and sure would hate to hear someone was mistaken for a nusiance animal... Lot harder to distinguish deer when all the leaves are on the trees/bushes.. I know for a fact my uncle pops the occasional grape/garden eater and he's not too concerned if there's someone in the background.. (always good to let Unc. Charlie know yer back behind the house..) ;)

"BOOM".... halt who goes there...

Definately good to ask someone permission, plus it's courtesy as well. Offer to help clean up around the area, clear some fall down timber, etc... build a trust with the property owner and you just might "secure" you that honey hole as your own.. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its ok fellas, no harm done. Most of the fishing i do is on private property with permission. I actually go with the landowner himself, and he's got 3 large ponds on his property. He actually just bought it, and we just started fishing it this spring. For the most part, its a mix of public lakes, rivers and the ponds i mentioned. Sometimes, though the bug gets ahold and i gotta get into some of these other places. i try to be thorough and check the best times, etc. I definitley dont make it a habit. :D

wellcraft dave, i will definitely look into it and see if i can secure it like you said. thx!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Most of the time, it's just a smart move and a nice way to have a private honey hole! ;)

Example, my uncle in Winston Salem has a nice size pond (lot's geese/ducks/deer), he get's upset when folks are back there (unannounced) and the property is posted. Everytime he (my uncle says the same thing...) "why dont they just ask?"...

;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.