NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, don't know if anyone has heard or not, but I figured I'd let all the anglers here know of a sad moment for me...

One of the stores I went to most of the time for tips and supplies for everything (hunting, fishing, clothes, etc.) has shut down....

Sportsman's Toy Store, in James City, NC (Just south of New Bern, north of Havelock) closed down, and I have no idea when. I drove down there yesterday after I had called them to see if they could help me out, only to hear a sad message being left that they had closed. I thought "Maybe it's a joke!" but sure enough, they weren't.

The land is for sale or lease from what I can tell with the big sign out front, and they are holding a huge auction on the 18th of this month on ALL of their items: And I mean EVERYTHING.

Still can't believe they're gone...It was because of them that I got my Elite bow, best bow that I've shot period, and I've shot Hoyt's, Matthews, you name it...nothing comes close to my Elite....now the only local source for that is gone....it's where my wife found the best fishing pole she says she's ever held in her life....a place where my kids were welcomed to come in and they treated them like they were part of the family, letting them play there, giving them tips, candy, conversing with them....

I wish ALL of the employee's and the owners and their families the best of luck! Hopefully one day I'll be able to finally go fishing or hunting with ya'll so we can share some great moments together, but more importantly hopefully you guys are able to rebound from this and continue doing what you love the most!

Thank you again, Sportsman's Toy Store, for being there for me and my family when we needed you!

Kong

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's hope that rumor becomes truth in a way, would love to still be able to go somewhere where I know some of the folks....and that's awesome for Thomas! Good thing he's got something else going on!

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a side note, how many on here remember their favorite "go-to" shop? Are they still in business? Moved?

I still remember the old Fishin' Stuff in Hatteras Village, and they've been gone for decades. Still have a Hatteras Marlin Tourney t-shirt from 1985 in my dresser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Thats too bad I favored them over the Big Guy back up the road that could care less about their customers. ;)

Reactions: Brett

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Did the sign say what time the auction was on the 18th? Can not find anything online about it.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Never had any luck with auctions with something that actually had value like NEW quality fishing equipment. It sometimes sells for more than it's actual value.
Just depends on the items being sold. The good stuff versus the cheap or entry level stuff.

Estate auctions might be a little different. You might be the only one there interested in the type of fishing equipment up for auction and get a good deal.

This auction however, every Tom, Dick, and Harry looking a deal on fishing and hunting equipment will be there. I doubt there will be any lack of competition.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
This one either.

I saw it had been viewed over 3200 times.
Yep, when I saw that interest was not very high. Plus I've probably got more stuff than I will ever need now.

Do hope they open back up, thought it was a good store. Was a little out of the way for me, being just north of the 70/55 split (New Bern) seems like a better spot.

Reactions: Brenardo

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Curiosity may get the best of me ;) Anybody else?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I am sure alot of their mechandise was supplied by Big Rock Sports , Pure Fishing, etc. and they probably gave a return credit for the popular stuff. Not sure what deals will be there to be had probably alot of clothing, and some accesories.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I thought about it. I got some killer deals from them right before they closed. 2008 PSE X-Force HF 6, new and unregistered for $300, two pairs of lacrosse (one snake, one insulated rubber) for $48 each, two Trophy Ridge React bow sights for $65. At the time I didn't worry about the fishing stuff because it wasn't as discounted and they told me they were relocating. I'm hoping they do but the last I heard they had declared bankruptcy so I'm not sure the relocation is still on. I enjoyed that shop a lot. I followed them out there from their old location and the new one was right down from the house. It made fishing trips much easier if I needed to stop in for anything.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Every sportsman and dealer within 100 miles is there. You would be lucky to get a reel deal :)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
so did anyone "score" ?

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I placed a few bids on a couple of guns but others wanted them more than I did. I was going to try scoring on some of the reels but after being there and seeing that nothing was going for what I would consider a deal I decided to leave. I would call it a wasted day but the boss let me off early to attend and it was definitely better than being at work so I'll call it a win.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts