NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a nice boat that will hold 10 people that's good for fishing on lakes and rivers for friends and family used boat

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
On a serious side dont let this happen:

Virginia Marine Police identified the victims as 52-year-old Phillip Earl Smallwood, and 51-year-old William T. Smallwood, both of Windsor, according to WVEC 13 News.
The fatal boating accident occurred near the Monitor Merrimac Bridge-Tunnel.
Police say preliminary evidence indicates the boat, a 14-foot Manatee, was overloaded with five passengers and coolers. The boat was swamped after the engine failed.
Three other victims were treated at RiversideHospital in Newport News and released.
Anglers along the Wave Fishing Pier told WVEC News they saw a small, crowded boat with five people onboard flip over shortly before 4:30 p.m. Some bystanders tried throwing rope to the boaters who were struggling to stay afloat.

a 25foot skiff MAY do the trick but 10 is a lot of people on any small to medium size boat.

Nah I saw a guy and 7 of his dearest friends on Friday fishing the icw in a 1648 Lowe. The 1652 should be able to fish at least 10 ;)

I would go for the pontoon though

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about a deck boat but don't know how it would fish
If I used it to fish it would be about 2-4 of us but the 10 would be to just cruz and hang out
Since I'm new here don't really know about the rivers down here could I take a 21 foot pontoon out? Sanford are

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
24ft Pontoon for sure..

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
As a former pontoon boat owner.....

They are under-rated fishing vessels. They can go very shallow, can be beached without harm, can fish 3-4 people comfortably, and provide a level of luxury that most vessels can't. They're cheap (you can get a decent one under $5k used), plentiful, and can support 10 people for playing around. No problem tubing or knee boarding behind them (he had a 70hp on ours), but watersking is so-so, and wakeboarding is probably out.

On the down side, they are prone to catching wind, you're not going to go much over 25 mph in most pontoons (exceptions exist, of course), they sit a bit high in the water (low bridge issue), and IMO, they're a bit harder to trailer, especially in side current (river)... It's just harder getting two toons to line up than it is to get a conventional hull centered.

They are not well suited for rough water/high waves.

Still, if you're looking for a good, cheap way to go fishing and still be able to take a half dozen friends out playing around, they might be a good choice for you.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I was thinking about a deck boat but don't know how it would fish
If I used it to fish it would be about 2-4 of us but the 10 would be to just cruz and hang out
Since I'm new here don't really know about the rivers down here could I take a 21 foot pontoon out? Sanford are
I don't even want to go fishing with 10 people:eek:
Not what he said and why not, do we smell :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't think he had fishing in mind for 10, that's just for family time. Pontoons make good "islands" for family time..

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Deck boats are ok just heavy.

Reactions: RouseD
1 - 20 of 29 Posts