NC Angler Forums banner

Looking for a Table Saw

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  sundrop 
#1 ·
Didn't want to stick this in the classifieds because you may have it and havent thought about selling it..LOL!!! I'm looking for a inexpensive table saw. I thought some of you may have one you never use, or a spare from upgrading... PM if any ideas? Pawn shops are crazy on tool prices!!

#2 ·
I've got half a dozen neighbors and friends from whom I borrow tablesaw time... much cheaper that way....

Reactions: sundrop
#3 ·
LOL I hear ya lefty.. I think I'm one of those neighbors others borrow "from".LOL!

#5 ·
Craigs List is where I'd start looking. I've seen a few deals on woodworking equipment pop up from time to time. Not exactly sure what you're looking for but if you're serious about your woodworking then look for a belt driven blade vs a direct drive, the latter being much cheaper in price and quality.

Mike C.

#6 ·
definatly belt driven.. i do consiterable wood working. -i have a massive delta- remember this most saw decks are cast iron. which makes them tough as nails. and heavy if you get one and it weighs less than say 40 pounds don't buy it. as it has an aluminum deck which will last only a few years afore it wears thru.. my delta with OUT the additional decks weighs about 150 pounds add another 100 pounds for the add on decks..

zooker

#12 ·
it don't my pop has a lone building -20x45- that houses all the wood working equipment. table saw,scroll saw,router, planer, spindel rig,and radial arm saws..
the cars sit out side boats,cannons sit in side..-can ya guess what we use all of the above for??

here is a hint..

nuff said..

zooker

#8 ·
Not looking for anything too fancy. But I dont want junk either. I saw new ones for $99 but I'd rather spend a little more on a used, better quality one. I won't use it for heavy stuff much, but I want to have it when I need it. And it must share workspace with cars, tackle etc...LOL!

#9 ·
Most of the portable contractor saws are direct drive, but they do have their niche and there is quite a market for them. Black & Decker, Dewalt, Hitachi, to name a few. For the occasional user that's not demanding the utmost in precision and quality of cut, then a portable saw would suffice. However, ripping a sheet of plywood on one of them ain't no picnic. If you were to pose the question; "What type of saw should I buy?" at any woodworking forum, the standard answer will be; (1) Buy a belt driven saw and (2) get a cast iron table and (3) put as much money into it as you can afford. It's kind of like buying that boat... instead of detemining the type of fishing you're going to be doing, you gotta figure out the type of woodworking that's coming at you down the road.

#10 ·
For cutting sheet goods -- especially rough-cutting them to workable sizes -- I'll generally let Home Depot do it on their panel saw. I think they charge a quarter per cut after the first two, or some bank-breaking charge like that... Well worth it to avoid the hassle of making long cuts in big panels...

#15 ·
lefty it is wrapped in a tarp and loaded on a car hauler. so unless you have REALLY seen one wrapped up you wont know what it is..

btw aprill 27-29 there is a couple going to be at plymouth nc..

zooker

#16 ·
Checked out HF but decided if I'm going to buy a $99 one I'll buy the black n decker. from Lowes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.