NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 kayaks (12ft and 15ft )and am looking for a trailer that has 15in tires. My budget is about $1000 and Im looking for any suggestions. All I can think of is to get a utility trailer but there might be someone here that knows of some other options or builders.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If you get a utility trailer you get something you can make good use of for more than the kayaks. I'm curious why you require 15in tires?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 15in tires are more so for long road trips ( mostly to Florida where I have family at ). I just think they would be better on the highway

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
you are right to go with larger than the 8" wheels but you don't have to go 15, as long as you are getting a 1" or larger bearing (spindle size) and keep it properly greased ( I like synthetic) you can do fine with 13 or 14" wheels. the difference is huge between the 8 and 13 but not a lot between 13 14 15 as far as RPM on the hub. The reason I add this is a lot of utility trailers are built with only the clearance for a 13" or 14" tire so you start getting exclusive and expensive when you go over that.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You have to be careful when repurposing trailers like utility trailers.
The spring ratings are much higher than needed to haul a coupla kayaks.
Basically you are pulling around an empty trailer because the load doesn't compress the springs, which aint such a good ride for your yak and gear. Ever get behind someone towing an empty trailer and see it bounce all over the place?

Will it work? Yes, but it's not the best option.
Yo can build a yak trailer pretty cheap. There aint a lot of metal in them. Axle, wheel, and hub assemblies aren't expensive if you shop in places like Agri Supply.
But yak trailers are stupid expensive if you go out and buy one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.