NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I have joined for some advice. I really enjoy fishing for catfish, but am having some trouble finding spots. I am in the Raleigh/Durham area and found a spot to catch channel cats, but I really want to find a spot to catch bullheads. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a boat, so the spots need to be accessible on foot.

all the best,

Michael

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Most people do not catch bullheads because they don't work well with other species of cats that are more sought after. I mostly catch bullheads and dozens of them at a time by fishing small creeks with livers or nightcrawlers. Most rural bridges have a place to fish next to them and you would be surprised how many fish one tiny creek can hold. If you're ever down in JoCo I can hook you up. Also they are smaller so downsize your gear. I catch mostly yellow bullhead while freelining baits in muddy or dark water.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The Eno above guess rd all the way to efland is full of them as is the Haw above Jordan all the way up past Burlington.

Mack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the help. I have been out a few times this weekend, and wanted to give everyone an update.

As of yet no bullheads. I have fished the following places:

Location Bait Catch Rate Size
Falls Lake Chicken liver/nightcrawlers Channel catfish 4 in 2 hrs 1-2 ft
Lick Creek Chicken liver/nightcrawlers Channel catfish 6 in 2 hrs 1-3 ft
Yates Millpond Chicken liver/nightcrawlers 0 in 1 hr
Crabtree creek Chicken liver/nightcrawlers Channel catfish 1 per cast 1-3 ft
Lake crabtree Chicken liver/nightcrawlers Channel catfish 1 in one hr 1.5 ft
Reedy Creek lake Chicken liver/nightcrawlers 0 in 1 hr

Going to try Few's Ford on the Eno later today. Any additional places?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Try Beaverdam- north of Raleigh off highway 50. That lake is absolutely FULL of them. Lots of Blues and channels as well. Lots of areas to walk around the lake and also- No power boats allowed in it. There is another access off Old Weaver road where the bridge is at- go beyond the bridge and there will be another access to your right where a small paved road goes right to the lake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another update.

I have checked out a few more places. No luck yet :(

Eno river at few's ford: No bites
Falls dam: tons of channel and white cats. I highly recommend this place for fast fishing.

Going to try Beaver dam and Jordan lake next. Any other recommendations? Ponds?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
plenty at fews ford....you got to search for the deep holes...there is 1- 8' hole and 1- 5 ' above fews ford. put some bait on the bottom.....Mack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.