NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I will be visiting the Elkin area in a couple weeks (middle of March), staying in a cabin on Elkin Creek. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the area. For reference, we will be about a half mile north of where Elkin Creek turns into Big Elkin Creek. From my research, I see it is stocked with trout and catfish? But I also read about the trout season being closed during this time, so I wasn't sure how all that worked.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yup, Frog Holler. I did read that post, and I wasn't sure if Elkin Creek was included, or if it was just Big Elkin Creek. Outside of the trout, are there any other species in the creek that would be biting this time of year? Or does the closed fishing season mean its for ALL fishing, not just for trout?

Thanks again.

Edit: According this map, only a small stretch of the Big Elkin is considered "hatchery supported waters"-
Ecoregion Map World Slope Font

thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you explain what Delayed Harvest means? And when I looked up Stone Mountain, it said only fly fishing was allowed, something I've never done or plan on doing lol. I am from western NY (finger lakes region) and am accustomed to fishing for trout with egg sacs. Any more info is greatly appreciated :)

And from your post, does that mean you can fish for trout during the closed season, you just can't keep them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. To clarify, the Stone Mountain State Park website constantly mentions fly fishing, and said something about only single-hook, artificial lures are allowed. I guess I misinterpreted it as just a fly fishing venue.

1 - 4 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.