NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am somewhat new to the area. I live in Clayton. I am interested in catching some Warmouths and Roanoke bass. I have read they can be found in such rivers as the Neuse and Little Rivers I just want to know if anyone can point me in the right directions on these rivers. Or any other good rivers and streams in the area. I'm mainly into Largemouth Bass, but kinda want to fish for something I've never fished for, but if you know any good largemouth streams or maybe where some smallies might be hiding (doubt anywhere this far southeast) ......but any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
warmouths are easy i dont know about up that way but if there are stumps take a cane pole or brim buster with a #4 hook and put a huge amount of worms and just jig the ball of worms around the stumps works everytime or a minnow like crappie fishing good luck

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
There are a couple rivers around Durham with Roanoke Bass and some Warmouths. If you Google search, or search the archives here, you can find some good info on where to start.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The best place to catch Roanokes are in the Tar River. If you are an expert wader you can safely fish for them between Rt. 96 to the Franklin/Granville Cnty line or from Rt. 15 upstream to Old Oxford HWY. If you want to float for them then go down between Louisburg and Bunn. Upstream from Baptist Ch. Rd. is pretty good. All of the mentioned streams also have largemouth.

It is also my understanding Roanokes have been stocked in the Rocky. Of course there is always the Eno and Flat River.

Please C&R the Roanokes

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Imo 3 best places for roanokes are the Eno, the Nottoway and Fishing Creek..........the roanokes never took in the rocky but are higher up the deep as they were also stocked in a creek that feeds the upper deep and took there and spread into the deep but they havent spread down as far as the rocky yet.........not to say u countnt catch 1 in the rocky or lowere deep but they arnt there in any amount........ronokes arent as rare as some would have u belive as i can probaly name 30 places where they reside.......see my blog for some info on that...mack

warmouths in the piedmont are pretty ahrd to come by (at leats for me) in any numbers.....most places have them but if I am fishing for warmouths i will end up with lots more crappie, redbreast and bream and few warmouth.....some ponds have some big warmouth but i dont know one now....use dto be a pond a t jordan that had some monster warmouth there and we would go catch them on crappie minnows.......pond dried up one yeear and it is only history now........mack

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Warmouths can be caught in the Neuse and any of the creeks off the Neuse. I also catch a bunch on The White Oak River but its not really your target area. I caught this guy on a 6" zoom lizard. They hit hard but dont put up much of a fight once hooked so light tackle would be the gear of choice. Brad

Water Mammal Fisherman Fish Fishing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts