NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently moved to the area and just a couple days ago bought a new Jackson Cuda 14. I would like to learn good fishings spots for Reds, Trouts, Striper. I live in New Bern but I am willing to travel in order to fish. I'm used to catching snooks and tarpons back in Puerto Rico, soooo I'm ready for my first Red drum. Please let me know if there is any kayak fishing club or something to meet fellow kayak fisherman and just FISHHHH!

Tight lines!

Cesar

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Welcome aboard, we are glad you've joined us. There is a lot of good fishing right there in New Bern. Topwater fishing around the stumps, bridges, and train trestles right now is good for stripers early in the morning or late in the day. You can catch a few reds in the stumps right there at New Bern but it is a lot better a few miles down river. In Havelock you have Slocum and Hancock Creeks, both of which are excellent places to fish. You can also head to Swansboro or Morehead City and fish. The forum is equipped with a search button and you can search previous discussions on tips for reds and what types of bait to use or if you have a question just ask.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have access to base so I can go to either Slocum or Hancock. Thanks for the info trigger22, I'll defenetly keep on rading in the forums and if not I will ask you in what types of bait to use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That soounds great then! How abut bait; Gulp shirmp, shads, popping corks and poppers. Does that sound like a good choice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Those will work good. I would add a walk the dog style Topwater lure to the mix as well. 1/8 ounce jig head with soft plastic. Pinfish will get bad in there and Gulp will get expensive. You'll do just as good with a DOA Cal Shad or similar type bait. 17MR Mirrolure's are a great choice in there for the trout.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect! Sounds like I have everything I need in my tacklebox already.... I'll keep you posted after my first kayak fishing trips!

·
Registered
940 Posts
We want pictures.. and a full report.. read the anatomy of a good fishing report for ideal format. when you have finished your mission, this message will self destruct.

Reactions: sundrop
1 - 9 of 9 Posts