NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing in New River on Saturday looking for tips and hints for around Gottstalk Marina area

·
Registered
159 Posts
starting at the mouth of the creek to the right work the bank into the creek as far as you can go (depends on boat size) under the bridge if possible. Then work the other bank coming out. I fish topwater/twitchbaits and have caught some nice Bass, Pickerel and the ever present Grinnell (Swamp Donkey). Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I never caught any LMB around that area but I did try very often. I did really well catching redfish, trout and flounder. As you're heading out from the marina, as soon as you leave the mouth of the creek turn to the right and fish that entire shore line. Be careful, it's pretty shallow and I fished it on a 17' CC with the motor trimmed up. I would use a redfish magic with the pearl/chartreuse grub. I would also throw Gulp shrimp on a 1/4 oz jig head and Gulp jerk shad on a weighted wide gapped hook. The reds will be shallow by the timber towards the shoreline. I would catch flounder by dragging gulp shrimp on the bottom. Colors that work are New Penny, pearl, and blue shad color. Also the Gulp grubs in white on 1/4 jig head do well there too. In July, schools of reds push all through that shoreline from behind housing up to the pier behind the Rod/Gun Club building. I've caught black drum off that shallow sandy flat that's in front of the rocks below the soccer fields in the officer housing. I'm not sure if reds, trout and flounder are your target species but there are plenty just in that section of the river. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts