NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in North Carolina and I'm interested in purchasing a new surf rod and reel. I was looking into the Penn Spinfisher or the Battle. I'm not sure if I should get a combo or match them up myself. I was thinking about a 10' rod. I know the Battalion rod is best matched for the Spinfisher or the Battle and the Prevail rod is best matched for the Sargus, Pierce and the Persuit but will the Prevail rod match well with the Spinfisher and the Battle? Also which size Spinfisher or Battle reel would be best for a 10 or 11' rod? And is an even larger rod recommended? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Where & what are you planning to fish for?
Rod length & reel size depend on location & species targeted.

Penn Sargus & Fierce reels are entry level reels, are not great reels.
Go with the Battle or SpinfisherV .....ICM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where & what are you planning to fish for?
Rod length & reel size depend on location & species targeted.

Penn Sargus & Fierce reels are entry level reels, are not great reels.
Go with the Battle or SpinfisherV .....ICM
I'd love to have one for bottom fishing in the surf and one for throwing plugs I'm the surf. Any Penn suggestions for both?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
You still have not answered where you plan on fishing & for what.

For distance fishing for big fish & large surf ( like Hatteras ) 11' & longer conventional rods are best.
10' spinning rod for throwing plugs. Spinfisher V 5500 & larger

For local surf with smaller waves, 9' conventional or spinning rods with Spinfisher V 6500
7'6" to 8 ' rods with Spinfisher V 3500 to 4500. Or Battle 3000 to 4000.

If you are in Wilmington, stop by I'll show you what I been fishing with. ( PM me for location )
Hope this helps. ....... ICM

http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn-spinfisher-v-surf-combos.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.