NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on used car dealerships in and around the Raleigh area (will travel some distance for the right deal)....... With literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of these small lots all over hoping someone has dealt with some and have favorable opinion ........... I'm looking for a small truck to purchase that will become my kayak transport..............

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
HONEST opinion? They are all crooks. They are only out for the cash, do lots of research before you buy and know what you are getting as well as the warranty

Reactions: GripaLip

·
Registered
869 Posts
Dealers have no idea about the history of a vehicle. I was in the market for a full size truck quite a while back. Looked at what seemed like every truck in a 100 mile radius and private parties sometimes think they can get blue book retail. Found a better price on a decent truck through a dealer.

If you go to a dealer, there are laws regarding used vehicle sales through dealers. Get to know them. Warranty helps too.

Get the CarFax. Dealer or private party can be a rebuilt wreck, flood vehicle, etc.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I dealt with Heister last time.
They were offering a lifetime drive train on their used cars at one time.

If you go to a big time reputable dealer, they aren't going to rip you off. It's not in their best interest to do so when they have 5-10 million tied up in inventory on the next lot. Plus they aren't going to put junk on the used car lot. I worked for a dealer once and I saw some NICE used cars get sent to the auction. They wouldn't put them on the used car lot for one reason or another. Might be bondo in a quarter panel, irregular tire wear, or could be anything suspect.

I've always preferred dealer purchases. Dealers know cars. You'll get a car that's just been fully serviced and most times new brakes. And I have something to fall back on as well as a little leverage to have some things fixed or replaced if you come to a sales agreement. Last one I bought I wanted a new battery and specified the brand. They did it.

I always carry my dad with me. On the test drive, I drive, he pulls everything out of the dash pocket. We never let the salesman come with us. You gather information there. Ask the salesman questions for the answers you already found to check where he's at on his information.

My dad's brother sold Chevrolets for 40 years in Raleigh. EVERYBODY in car sales knew him. That goes a long way.

It's the small privately owned used car lots to be careful of. Alot of them are low end auction cars. Look good from the road , and that's about it.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
It's the small privately owned used car lots to be careful of. Alot of them are low end auction cars. Look good from the road , and that's about it.
I agree with that. I had a buddy who ran a small business flipping auction cars. I think alot of them make their money off the bad credit/ no credit people who really have no other option but to buy from them and pay outrageous financing terms and such. Dealing with a big new car dealer, they probably just want to sell them and get them gone off their lots at any price with a little profit, they would probably be better to deal with than a roadside guy who might be gone next week. I know in 2009 when I traded my 2001 F150, Capital gave me 5500 for it and they listed it around 6K and would probably sell it anywhere in between.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You all that replied and yeah what I expected the opinions to be just hoping maybe one place :). I have found some very nice vehicles on Auto Trader through private sales and will probably go that route...... Thanks Again......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts