NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
live in the mountains and flyfish for trout and muskies, am looking for something new anyone with some information on waters that hold pickerel? don't mind traveling 4-5 hours to try something new. anyone with some info or tips please respond

·
Registered
7 Posts
The one place that comes to mind for me is Mayo Lake in Person county here in the Piedmont.Its full of them.Mayo is just a couple miles out of Roxboro.It would be a little bit of a drive for you but there is plenty of them there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks nc fisherman I go to Raleigh quite often so the drive is not really that bad will return the favor if you ever need any information on my side of the state.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
You guys are making me proud. This exchange of information is what I created this site for. Thanks and tight lines! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
redfish tom

ncfisherman is right, Mayo is full of chain pickerel. Have you tried it yet?

I have caught tons of them up there. They've come on spinnerbaits, senkos, lizards and even on flies. They often follow baits almost all they way in before they hit. A streamer or wet with quick strips and pauses has worked well for me. I've lost some flies and rubber worms due to their teeth though. Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ketchunannee, how do you fish mayo? by boat or bank? haven't found alot on mayo that isn't related to bass or real estate. is it wadeable? not really afraid of snakes so that is no problem. do have a small 10 ft. flat bottom aluminum, but use it to float for muskies and smallies so i don't use a motor. anything will help. thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
redfishtom

I fish from the bank. ( I haven't gotten my aluminum boat to NC yet, but it would help a lot.) There is a bridge (the only one that crosses the main lake) on a road called Bowmantown. It is between NC 501 and NC 49. The east end of the bridge has a pull-off to park and a couple paths leading down to the rocks. I went up there with a couple guys one afternoon and caught about 5 pickerel in around 2 hours. There is also access from a dirt road at the north end of the lake. If heading north on 501, it is on the right just before the VA line across from an old brick truck stop or country store. There are a couple spots along that road. One is right near the spillway-just park near the yellow gates and guard rail and follow the path (south)until you see the spillway. You can also continue on the path until you get to the main lake. If you don't want to hike too far, you can fish in the creek running under the road by the guard rail. I fish there a lot. It looks small and I wade it, but I have caught bass over 5 lbs in there in addition to pickerel. Continuing east along the dirt road you should be able to see the water through the trees. There is a big bay in there that would be a perfect spot for a john boat. Feel free to explore; it's all public land. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

ps -most of the pickerel i catch are 20-24" . also, the new Rapala X-Rap works well on them too

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have only caught one chain in my life fishing in NC. It was caught in 1988 on the Centennial Campus of NC State University in Raleigh near big rocks north of the spillway. It was 24 inches long and it ate a silver spoonwith a green grub trailer. I used a surf rod to get over the brush growing at the water's edge. I figured if it's too thick to penetrate, get a long stick and go over the top. It worked on ol' gator face.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tom, Not pickerel but I know of a nice run of walleye in a local river that might peek your interest. I tried several trips this year without success on the flyrod but they are there. With some work I think a man could pick them up in the lake staging for the run upstream. It's over for this year but next March / April I know where I'll be and you're welcome to join me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Scott, I have always wanted to do that too. Could you plan on making room for two more?

·
Registered
25 Posts
On most trips their is a seat open in the boat but these are rough trips. We put in around 4 pm and take out around 9-10 pm in March/April so it can be COLD! I'm just starting to figure them out and would welcome the help!

·
Registered
175 Posts
We seem to be having a bumper crop of jacks in the local waters. Not to much bank fishing available. Mepps comets and Aglia 3 and four seem to do real good :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
REDFISHTOM,

How's the muskie fishing been going for you? I used to do a little fishing for them with baitcasting tackle in PA. but never known of anyone to use fly tackle.
Sounds like it would be exciting. If you would like a fishing partner for a day and show me the ropes I would be very interested. I have always wanted to learn to flyfish for trout also and would love to give that a try also. Give me a holler back if you would be interested.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
scuttlebut would be glad to show you the ropes and take you fishing as soon as the rivers and creeks around here go back to normal, the musky fishing for me has been pathetic though. as for the trout fishing i can put you on some happiness. we have everything from some hike in wilderness streams to heavily stocked waters take your pick. the water levels have come up to near flood stage several times in the last couple of weeks, pretty much all over the area. let me know when you plan to visit the area, I'm 15 miles east of asheville . so I can reach most streams in an hour or two.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If anyone is still looking for pickerel, Mayo seems pretty good right now. I went bass fishing Monday night with a friend of mine who guides there and the only thing we caught were pickerel. They hit on culprit worms and a rapala x-rap and they were on the small side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Redfishtom
I would love to catch up with you ASAP and take a trip to the mountains and see what all this happiness is all about. If you think that we might be able to work something out in the next week or two let me know. look forward to hearing back from ya

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
scuttlebutt don't think with all this rain we are having around here that most of the trout streams will be fishable by the weekend tried saturday on the tuckasseegee, and it was way up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Redfishtom,
I figured that the rivers were probably up but I will keep in touch and see if we can't squeeze something in sometime in the weeks ahead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts