NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the area, just moved from Washington state. I am looking for locations to fish in cumberland area and its surrounding areas. I am looking for Bass and Catfish seeing there wasn't a lot of either of those species at my last duty station. Any help would be greatly appreciated because all of the lakes I found around my house to do allow public access, and the only other lakes are the ones located on Bragg and I haven't gotten my special permit to fish there yet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I grew up around Fayetteville, but don't know of any good fishing holes that aren't private in the Bragg area. If you don't mind traveling, you can fish lake Waccamaw which has had a great fishery in the past, but I know they were having trouble with aquatic weeds in the past few years (maybe resolved now though). I live between Fayetteville and Wilmington and primarily fish Bay Tree Lake (near White Lake) and mostly kayak fish inshore at the beach for reds, flounder and trout (some offshore as well). If you are looking for bass and have a boat then Sharon Harris near Raleigh is a great place and near Wilmington there is Lake Sutton.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Check out Riverside bait and tackle in Fayetteville, it is on the Cape Fear river, has a boat ramp at it, they sell bait, and should be able to tell you what the catfish are eating.

Bass fishing is Jordan and Harris, both about 1 hour north of post. There may be some bass opportunities in the cape fear river too but I have no personal experience with that. I wouldn't waste your money on the fishing permit for Fort Bragg, just my opinion from a couple trips, what I've heard others say, and my feelings about them charging us $25 to fish and another $25 if you want to hunt, and 14,000 extra restrictions and rules, I just stay away from Bragg when possible.

Let the forum members know if you're fishing from shore, boat, kayak, canoe, so they can cater their answers to best fit your situation. You'll find a lot of good guys on here willing to help you learn. Use the search function too, you will usually find the answers you're looking for in previous posts. PM me when you have the ability, we can talk about the unit you were in , I may know it. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Harris and Jordan both about an hour away. Rhodes Pond is towards Dunn on HWY 301. McFayden Lake - seems like I had to buy a year membership but that may have been to a different private lake. It's been many years since I was in the area, but used to do a lot of fishing in these areas growing up. There was a lake/pond out near the airport also that provided good bass fishing. Last but not least.... Cape Fear River.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.