NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some what new to pier fishing in the Carolina's... caught some dogfish at Cheryy grove over the Christmas holidays... I usually do catch/release..
I've read that king fishing is good off the piers & in the surf (in season)
When will the kings start showing up??.
Any tips for a rookie...:)

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
If you are waiting on a King then you will miss out on a lot of other fishes. Kings should start popping up in May thru June time frame and last until late October or early November depending on the weather. This is for the piers. Boat guys go after the Kings out to 35 miles and catch some nice ones this time of year.

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll sea and hear some good reports as they happen, where it happened and what type of bait they were using all to assist you on your next outing.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Thanks Scott
Mostly likely I be back in the area in April....What type of catch can I expect.
April is kinda of early for Kings on the pier - water temps need to be around 68 or higher in the spring (they will hang in water till temps get below 66 once there, like in the fall). We usually don't get those temps on the beach until May. Last year was an awesome year for Kings from the pier. Last year Surf City Pier had around 200 kings caught, the other piers did well too.

Here's a link to a little overview I did on pier fishing for kings in a previous thread, King Pier Fishing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.