NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following this forum for a few years now, and you guys make kayak fishing looking better and better all the time. Especially because I live in the Smithfield area but love chasing the inshore fish, (mainly drum and trout) but by the time I drive down to the east and back and put gas in the boat I've spent at least 200 bucks in gas only. That makes going fishing down east like a once a month thing for me and that just aint cutting it.

My main question for y'all is, how would a kayak be for someone with back issues? I have a spinal fusion in my mid back area so that usually shortens most of my physical activities, but i dont necessarily do better sitting rather than standing i kinda have to alternate to stay "comfortable". I guess I'm just wondering if there are any of you that have a similar injury and how kayaking treats you compared to being on a boat. Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Seat, Seat, Seat....Oh did I say Seat!!!!! I do not have any back injuries thankfully but I can tell you as someone who has grown up canoeing all my life that the back is the first thing to get tired and achy. That is one of the main reasons I went with a Jackson SOT kayak. Those seats are awesome and adjustable not to mention my new Coosa has an inflatable lumbar cushion stock. All that said make sure you spend the change if you get a kayak and get one with a great seat.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
not only the seat, sometimes just staying in a seat with little moving around cold aggravate a sensitive back. You need to get some seat time in. If your ever out this way when I am off your more than welcome to fish with me. I have one with a boat seat and one with the native seat.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
change positions and move around freely
I think that's a good suggestion, in addition to having a really good seat...(and one of the reasons I guess I spend more time in my canoe than in my kayaks). Some kayaks are much more stable than others, even though they may all advertise the ability to stand....and some are easier and more efficient for standing because the seat is elevated and there is a pull strap to assist with standing and sitting. Thus the value of demo days and trying before you buy....so you can also evaluate the ease of getting on and off the boat when you want to stand and walk around on a sandy or hard bottom for a few minutes. My sit on top is not a "standing model"...but the ability to hang a leg over the side...or turn and hang both legs over the side (when I don't think they will become "bait") ...is a major benefit when the back and hips start to ache.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I am a local boat builder. Right now I am building a SOT that is of the ocean kayak flair but also has some shallow water fishing in it's design. The design name "Wadefish" derives from it's shallow water ability. Easy to get in and out of. Wade awhile, kayak a while.
It's not just the seat that is important. Everything is. The paddle. You want to be fitted for a paddle. Some paddles will wear not only your arms out but the lower back as well. You want foot rests to push against.

I've had lower back surgery and need a fusion. As long as I can get in and out of it, and move around, I can live through a fishing session. Fishing out in the ocean I'll go over the side for a break.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try as many as you can. I have a bad back as well. No fusion,but the least thing can knock it out. Each boat will feel and handle differently , your height,weight,etc. all affect it. The more boats you try, you'll find the one that "feels" right for you. Once you find that comfortable ride, you'll never look back. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. This is why I posted here because y'all actually take the time to help each other when you can, that is awesome. Dbeam if I have a chance to get out your way I'll be sure to take you up on that offer. Even though it will probably be a while before I'm ready to buy anything, I guess I need to get to trying out some different brands to see what seats would suit me the best and which one would let me stand up when I need. Where would y'all recommend me going to try some out, esp places that would let me try before I buy ? And I'm guessing any good kayak retailer could also fit me for a paddle? Thanks again guys

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I hate to sound like an evangelist.... But take a look at the NuCanoe Frontier.

You sit in a jon boat seat (and that's ANY jon boat seat, you can select one that's most comfortable for your back instead of the standard NuCanoe seat), in a normal seating position. It's very, very stable for standing (look for youtube videos.... They have guys standing on the gunwales and the nose to prove the point, You can alternate between standing and sitting. Of course... That assumes you're "normal" sized. At my size, I haven't tried standing yet in mine, but I'm a giant.

If you wanted to put on a trolling motor or up to a 2.5HP gas motor, you could. It's not for me, but my back doesn't need help.

Your issue: It's heavy. Empty, it weighs 72 lbs. With a jon boat seat, about 90. I'm just worried about your back for that. Wouldn't be bad in the back of a pick up, but cartoppping.... Not with a bad back.

This is the kayak darryl was talking about with the jon boat seat.

Good luck

Reactions: dbeam and RouseD

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Most all of the super stable kayaks are heavy, but I think they would be well worth a try, and would be best for you. Weight is definitely an issue. like other have said, but you'll find a way to transport that will be the best for your back, for the comfort you'll get out of whatever one you decide on. Take the guys up on their offers for a try, and you will not be sorry. I have a Ride 135 that is fairly stable, but nowhere nearly as stable as some that have been mentioned. I have one of the older models and have never really liked the seat. I use a boat cushion in the seat to give me more height, and for the extra comfort. I have stood in mine to help my back out a bit, but the Ride can be tricky for some. It was a bit for me, but had to do it to ease my back. The Ride would not be a choice in your circumstances. If I were going to buy another, it would be the NuCanoe Frontier, or one of the Jacksons, and there is a couple of more that would also be good choices for you to try.
Maybe someone will give you a list of yaks to try 1st.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
While I'm a canoe guy too I'm older than dirt and a comfortable seat makes a world of difference, and my Old Town Saranac has adjustable back seats that are great. That, combined with getting out and wading is my preferred method of fishing the salt marsh. That is the common thread throughout this thread...... :)

Cloud Sky Water Plant Casting (fishing)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Check when your local shop has "Demo days". GET OUT... here in Gboro has a great demo, on the lake, program. this being summer, I'm sure there could be a couple more demos, in driving range, I'm sure someone will post that info if you need it. that's is a good way to check different rides together

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.