NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - primarily freshwater guy here. Just got back from Hatteras with the family, and I did a bit of wading and fishing in the sound and caught a couple lizard fish, but nothing else. Left me wanting more!

Talked to my wife about coming back some time just the two of us for an overnight kayak inshore fishing trip, but really didnt know where to start. Ideally looking for an area to put in, and then be out all day. In my mind the grasses and marshes between Roanoke and the Oregon inlet look nice (have heard to avoid the inlet itself), but I know almost nothing about this type of fishing. I prefer throwing Gulp! mullet grubs and the like, or plastic flukes, but open to advice. Can anyone put us on some fish in mid September?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yak around to the Melvin R Daniels bridge and fish about 80 yards out almost directly in the middle of the bridge. THrow Gulp swimming mullets and smelt minnows and bump them along the bottom (jigging). You can also just fish from the bridge itself which is where a lot of folks do and that time of year the bite should be on. Specks galore! This is one of my favorite speck holes and it is very productive once the water temps begin to cool a bit....right now, not so much!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yak around to the Melvin R Daniels bridge and fish about 80 yards out almost directly in the middle of the bridge. THrow Gulp swimming mullets and smelt minnows and bump them along the bottom (jigging). You can also just fish from the bridge itself which is where a lot of folks do and that time of year the bite should be on. Specks galore! This is one of my favorite speck holes and it is very productive once the water temps begin to cool a bit....right now, not so much!
We tried, although im thinking i had the technique wrong reading your post again now. South side or north side?

At any rate I did manage one nice red (and a smaller non photographed one) plus a little trout. I didnt have the right gear for the conditions and found myself pulling up grass and weeds quite often.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry, I should have specified, south side of bridge but water temps are way too high right now.. try again in late September through about early November. Once temps cross 60 going south you’ll find the trout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts