NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't want to make this public, please PM me.

I'm looking for information about fishing and perhaps kayaking streams in the Winston Salem area. I haven't bought the Paddling eastern NC book yet, but it's on my "christmas wish list" for family members to buy me.

Muddy Creek? Looks interesting on the map, haven't been there yet.

Silas Creek? Some deep looking pools where it crosses Silas Creek Parkway... There any fish in there?

Some of the creeks that feed the Yadkin below Idols Dam?

I C&R only, I won't destroy the eco system of a small creek.

Thanks for any advice you can share....

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can't help much either, but I'm also interested in trying them out. I posted a similar thread recently. I want to try Deep Creek, Forbush Creek and Salem/Muddy also. I think you could get to Muddy Creek via the greenway behind Meadowlark Middle School and I was thinking maybe Washington Park for Salem Creek. Maybe we can hit one up together sometime.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deal... I'm available most evenings after work for a quick run.... PM me when you have time.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read that someone already noted that you can get to Muddy Creek via the greenway behind Meadowlark School - that's correct. I have spoken to old timers (90 yrs+) who say they used to pull carp from that creek too. Looks as if there would be small catfish in pool sections as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my opinion neither is navigatable with a kayak. Too small and lots of trees across them in years past. Salem creek has a greenway also running along a good portion of it. Please pm me your report, I'd be surprised but happy to hear if you catch any good fish. Further north you have the Dan and west the fisher. Mt airy also has a pretty stream which I think is the Ararat that is supposed to fish well and be floatable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I walk/run my dog on the Meadowlark Greenway and it would be a difficult to float that creek section. Have never seen anyone fishing either but their are a lot of foot paths down to the creek. You would probably scare up deer or kids but don't know about the fishes.

I like the creek coming out of Salem Lake and it could hold some fish, but have only rode my bike along the greenway there.

I kayak and have never heard of any streams that are that kayakable or very fishy in WS area.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've never really heard anything good about the small flows in the area either, but seeing some of the secret water these guys find makes me want to try anything.

I really think some of the Yadkin county streams might be our best bet if we don't want to go as far as the Ararat, Mitchell and etc. I'm definitely up for floats come spring or summer when I'm home from school. Cool to see Winston getting a bigger representation on here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.