NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Andrew, just moved to morehead city and don't know the local area yet. I'm looking to go out in the morning. Anyone know any good spots to get on some trout or puppy drum? I don't have a boat so it will be shore fishing. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Welcome aboard Andrew. This time of year is tough for the shore bound angler around Morehead. Your best bet will probably be Fort Macon. Soaking cut mullet, shrimp or live minnows around the rock jetty should produce some drum. You also have the pay dock at the Core Creek bridge (hwy 101 highrise) and oyster point. The pay dock is $3-5 to fish and should produce some trout, and at oyster point you can wade fish the Newport River.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Chasin Tails on Atlantic Beach is open bright and early. Park in the parking lot at fort Macon and walk back up the road you came in on to the first white gate on your left (ocean side). Go over/under that gate and follow the path down to the beach. You can't miss the jetty from there.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Welcome Aboard....

·
Registered
523 Posts
You don't need a boat to get to some productive spots...your car will work just as good. Drive down Hwy. 24 towards Jacksonville. You'll come to Gales Creek and then Broad Creek. Both have parking nearby (legal too!). Fish off the rocks right at the bridges. C-rigged shrimp, mud minnows, or finger mullet work as do Gulp shrimp on a 1/8 oz. jighead and a DOA or Vudu shrimp under a popping cork. Tidal flow is critical; I prefer the last 2 hours and then first 2 hours of each cycle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts