NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there folks. I'm down here in hurricane ravaged Fort Lauderdale, and am looking for info on NC offshore/nearshore fishing. This hurricane may have been the straw that has broken the camels, back so to speak. We've been contemplating a move to Western North Carlonia to be closer to family (and out of range for hurricanes). My only beef is that I love the bluewater, and being near Asheville would mean a 6-7 hour trailering experience to the coast.

What general locations / towns are good to drop in for good offshore or nearshore fishing if I trailer from Asheville? I imagine we'd rent a room or condo for long weekends, close to a marina or ramp. How far out do you guys have to go to get tuna, billfish, dolphin, wahoo or kingfish? What kind of stuff do you all catch near shore?

My boat is a 1999 Shamrock 246WA.

Thanks and I look forward to fishing NC!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Sham-i-Gator--- Welcome to the site and to North Carolina. In general, I think you will find a similar variety of fish on the NC coast as you find in Fl. Trailering a boat, I would start with the Wilmington and Morehead City areas as they have the best roads. NC has many offshore wrecks and artificial reefs that will provide you with good fishing year round weather permitting. What I suggest is to check with the areas local tackle shops and the marina where you launch your boat, they will eagerly supply you with local info. which is of the utmost importance. After you find your own pet fishing spot, you'll be able to find boat storage availible to eliminate those long tugs.

Regards, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
About the only place that has a short run to the Stream is Hatteras Inlet and that is a long haul. There the stream gets as close as 10 miles out. Most of the people doing what you ask about do just what Fojoloy told you. The trip offshore is a little longer though. Dolphin, sailfish and blackfin are generally targeted from 10 to 50 miles out. Marlin fishing is usually a 50-60 mile proposition. Basically north of seamounts in the stream. These produce upwellings that concentrate tuna, wahoo and marlin. Bluefin come in close and shallow during Dec. and Januaryin the Morehead City area and along the outerbanks. Check out the links page and you will find some good links listed under other saltwater links. AL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate you responses. Just like any area, it looks like I'll have to do my homework, buy some charts and study up on the forum. I look forward to it and hope to post up some NC catches in the future.

Tight lines and screamin drags.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.