NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am now living in Columbus County, about 15 min from lake Waccamaw. I wont be able to have my jon boat with me as I dont have a vehicle to tow it. I do think however I could manage to get a kayak around with my car. Im looking to spend under $700 on a kayak. I also would like to do some hunting (wood duck mainly) with it. When hunting I would mainly use it to paddle creeks and swamps. I would like a sit on top kayak as I think it would work best for both fishing and hunting. So far it looks like there are some decent ones from Perception Kayaks and Emotion Kayaks in this price range.

Any others I am missing?

What are some features you guys would recommend I look for in a kayak?

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Stability, room for fishing/hunting equipment, camo colored, comfort are a few. In hull storage space that is easily accessable. Sit on top is definitely the way to go for your use.
Do you have, or can you put a rack on top of your vehicle to accommodate a kayak? I'm guessing you would need a 12 to 14 foot kayak. Weight might also be a consideration if you have to hoist it on top of your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I think there are several yaks that would suit in your price range like Ascend, Perception Pescador etc. You might also give some consideration to one of the 12'-14' canoes on the market...several threads here have discussed ones on the market and being introduced....perhaps easier stowage of gear (just set it inside) and certainly lighter weight for cartopping...just as maneuverable with double bladed paddle. Friend (who has been an avid whitewater kayaker) just bought one of the Old Town canoes on sale, well within your price range and he is pretty pleased with it for lake and river use...as are several others that have posted here.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
The canoe would be a good choice for a light weight boat that will handle a big load. But the wind is not as kind to them as it would be a SOT. I do not have an Ascend but they look like great boats for the money, and the FS12 comes in well under your price range.

Darrell

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
you can check with hook line and paddle in willimington or get outdoors in golsboro they have great deals on the lower line of natives like the redfish 12's awesome platform to fish from and a nice low price with great warrenty policy's
i personally use the redfish 12's but love the 14's also the manta ray is another good choice but higher priced

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thx for the suggestion. Checked it out and it seems to have way more bang for the buck than the others I was looking at, and even a lot of kayaks that cost more.
Yeah, that one was obviously inspired by the Diablo Adios. It's got a comfy seat... A little light on weight capacity for a moose sized guy like me... If you read the reviews, you'll see that these tend to have a problem with the seals on the hatches, which can be fixed. I don't like the thermoformed plastic, it seems "brittle" compared to the rotomolded. But most people love that kayak.

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.