NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello N.C Angling community:

I'm new to the area and I'm looking for someone that knows the area to be able to show me around on some of the rivers and local lakes in the sanford area or other areas that are in the general area of where I'm living at now. I was a Northern California flyfishing guide that has been transplanted here now and I'm dying to do some either river fishing or lake fishing. I have caught everything from permit to bone fish and sailfish and marlin on a fly rod. I grow up in the south as a kid in Florida and know how to fish for speckel trout, flounder, blue fish too. I build my own fly rods and my own flies and I'm willing to trade my skills and talents for a chance to go fishing with you and to share experince and intrests in this life style that has become so much a part of my life. You see to me flyfishing is not just a sport or a hobbie it is a way of life and a great big part of my life. I have been flyfishing for over twenty years.

Thanks for your time & keep a tight line.
Dave

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome Aqua! I know some of the guys on here will be happy to help you out!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Welcome Aqua. I just began getting seriuos about Fly Fishing a couple of years ago and the bug bit me hard. I fished Salmon and Trout in New York and Snook in the Keys. I picked up a small boat and plan to start seriously exploring the coast for redfish and whatever else this summer. You may be interested in the Fishing Education Center here in Fayetteville. They are holding beginning Fly Fishing Clinics in January and Febuary and I'm sure that we could use another expereinced volunteer. It would be a great oppourtunity for you to meet some of our local Fly Fisherman as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Backlash:

I'll check it out and if you need a extra partner with you to look for reds along the coast drop me a line hopefully we can hook up to do some exploring along the coast line or in the inter coastal waters and bay's. I ty some pretty kick butt shrimp patterns for reds and specs, an flounders.
Dave.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I would happy to have you along. I'm planning to start to work on some shrimp patterns, myself. I would be very intereted in any tips that you would have. I've been working on some Hot Glue Crab patterns but haven't accheived the results that I'm hoping for, yet.

I have a friend that lives in NorCal who used to guide for Bob Mariott's. His name is Woody Wood, have you ever heard of him?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Crummy:
Thanks for writting.
I'd love to be able to check out some of the mountain waters here soon. do you know of any places that have german browns in the rivers or streams? During the summer I used to fish lake almanor in California for big browns and we would use our float tubs to fish for them and let them tow you around the lake. I've caught a 9pound brown in june and july on that lake. That lake had a bug called the Hexigenia. It is a great you are in a float tub at night and it is about 8:00 pm when the hex start to come out and the surface of the lake looked like someone had broke open a huge bag of popcorn and just littered the surface of the lake with it. It's cool cause the only thing you really notice is all of the wings of this bug flapping in the breeze trying to dry out so they can take off and fly away. They are bright canary yellow in total darkness it is the coolest sight.
Hey I'll let you go for now but thanks again for writting.
Aguaazul1.

As for the the comment as to weather or not all fishrman are liars?

I think to some aspects I'd have to say they like to stretch the truth.
I'm sure once you get together with them to see just how much they do know or how well they do when you fish with them you'll know the truth.

If you know of any duck hunters that shoot wood ducks could you please send me some wood duck breast feathers. I use them a lot for a lot of my flies that I tie.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Crummy:

What time of the year is the best time to hook up on the browns, any size to them? Is there a certain type of fly patteren that is used or more effective then another? I know at lake almanor we used mud bugs( Hexigenia nymphs ) along with shooting heads to get down to them as we float tubed in the coves of the lake.

I'll let you go for now but keep in touch.
Dave.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
aqua
the catawba river is a good floater river but it is deep enough for a boat. the french broad is kicking -watch out for musky's- for a floater the nuse river is slap full of smallies..

as for trout they stock them in this state there is VERY few wild trout streams. most of the trout streams i have fished -linville, lil buck,panther-are very diffacult to use a fly swatter in..

i can give you driving instructions to a trout hatchery in the mountains -linville area..

zooker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.