NC Angler Forums banner

What Type of Line to Leader Connection do you use?

• Braided Loop-Connector

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Nail Knot with Surgeons Knot

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Needle Nail Knot with Surgeons Knot

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • UV Knotsense or simliar adhesive

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other type loop connection

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • I Hate Loop-To-Loop

Votes: 9 17.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use both a nail knot / perfection loop and sometimes a braided loop. I like the whole idea of the braided loop but have had a number of problems with them.

1. They tend to strech after time and leave a weak area where the braid is streched thin.
2. The heat shrink they come with is really thick and it leaves you with a super stiff area on your line that always hinges.
3. When I have secured them with various glues they have always been again to stiff or subtle but ended up peeling after some time.

I have been wanting to buy a splicing kit for sometime as that would pry be even better than nail knotting, esp for light line wts. The only thing is your really limited if you want to change leaders.

The best results I have had, performance wise, is to nail knot the leader directly to the fly line.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I guess you could call me an ocasional fly fisherman. I started off in freshwater but most of what I have done is saltwater. I have always used a nail not. In Saltwater leaders are not quite as critical in most cases. In my limited opinon it is hard to beat the nail knot for a good presentation. With a properly sized but section the leader will turnover just as if it were part of the flyline itself. I would think the loop to loop connection would tend to cause the leader to try and pile up instead of having a smooth turnover

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
the nail knot looks the sweetest and presents better than the other connections, the only downside is if something shreds your leader (especially in saltwater) it is the harder one to change. I still use loop to loop to attach the tippet to the leader though. I find that if I tie loops on the ends of my leader and tippet that are about 1 & 1/2 to 2 inches long I can pre-tie a fly to the tippet and when connecting the loops the fly will fit through the loops no problem, Also the knot that forms is nice and square and the line presents nicely.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I use the Line Loop conectors myself in both freshwater and saltwater. They're strong and easy to use. I also use the Orvis Braided leaders and Bimini Tippets. For Saltwater I use a tapered leader then clip the last 12" off and tie on 20# Flourocarbon with a Surgeons Knot. Both have been very reliable for me and turn the flies over extremely well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nail knot only. If my client has a loop connector I resist the overwhelming urge to cut it off and reluctantly tie a loop on the end of an otherwise perfectly good leader.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've used both nail and loop. I prefer the nail as it does definitely lay-out or turn over better, and it doesn't present the hinging problem, but once you tie, you are faced with cutting and then re-tying. When you are in the middle of a stream or trying to get in as many cast as possible, you don't want to be taking so much time tying knots. In that sense, loop is more efficient.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I use the uni to uni also but I am not really a fly fisherman. I use the uniknot for everything. IMHO it is the best dang knot that one can use for anything. I have never had a line break at the knot with a uniknot.

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't hate loop to loop. Use it sometimes. My favorite though is to use Zap-A-Gap Cynoacrylate and a needle to glue the butt end of the leader inside the tip of the fly line. I've never had that fail and it gives the smoothest transition from line to leader. Turns over nicely with no "hinging".

See Dave Whitlock's article on this:

No Knot Connections, by Dave Whitlock

·
Registered
17 Posts
I say stick with the old nail knot. Get a knot tool and you'll be tyin perfect nail knots in a day. The only way i would use a loop would be if i planned on changing leaders for one reason or another... maybe using a bigger leader for fishing a big streamer when you've been dry fly fishing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.