NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday, 10/11/14, a little after noon, I was sailing out Beaufort Inlet. The inlet was a little rough and I took several waves over the bow. One such wave ripped my kayak from its rack and washed it overboard. As I was trying to reduce sail and turn around to retrieve my kayak, a white fishing boat that was coming in the inlet stopped, loaded the kayak, and sped off inside the inlet. I tried to reach the boat by VHF, but the captain did not answer. This was a Wilderness Tarpon 160 kayak set up for fishing with a rudder. It was the Mango (orange and yellow) color. Any information provided as to the whereabouts of this kayak, captain, or the boat that took it is appreciated.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I am hoping they just got it because it was adrift and will make some attempt to find it's owner. That's one bad thing about not having a registered vessel. Harder to trace if it pops up for sale somewhere..

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hull # is stamped into the stern and inside the hull of my NuCanoe.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That really stinks but it doesn't surprise me either. I've had stuff stolen twice in that area and even met a couple that were left stranded on Cape Lookout when someone stole their kayaks while they were setting up camp. The impression I have, which may be wrong, is that there are out-of-staters that come down to fish this area a lot and feel like they can get away with stuff. That boat might be sitting in someone's garage in NJ right now...

·
Registered
48 Posts
On Saturday, 10/11/14, a little after noon, I was sailing out Beaufort Inlet. The inlet was a little rough and I took several waves over the bow. One such wave ripped my kayak from its rack and washed it overboard. As I was trying to reduce sail and turn around to retrieve my kayak, a white fishing boat that was coming in the inlet stopped, loaded the kayak, and sped off inside the inlet. I tried to reach the boat by VHF, but the captain did not answer. This was a Wilderness Tarpon 160 kayak set up for fishing with a rudder. It was the Mango (orange and yellow) color. Any information provided as to the whereabouts of this kayak, captain, or the boat that took it is appreciated.
So sorry this happened to you. I hate a thief

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
That really stinks but it doesn't surprise me either. I've had stuff stolen twice in that area and even met a couple that were left stranded on Cape Lookout when someone stole their kayaks while they were setting up camp. The impression I have, which may be wrong, is that there are out-of-staters that come down to fish this area a lot and feel like they can get away with stuff. That boat might be sitting in someone's garage in NJ right now...
Dude, that's just wrong. There are plenty of local thieves.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know when I go on vacation I steal kayaks. They are so easy to hide and no one would ever see them strapped to my truck at the hotel either. Sounds stupid when you hear someone else say it doesn't it?

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Everyone is assuming someone stole the kayak, not knowing the details of the event or if they made an effort to locate the original owner. They see a kayak floating in the inlet. Did they contact the coast guard? Did they see it come off of the sail boat and know he was in fact attempting to turn around and retrieve it? It was no doubt a safety hazard so I would have picked it up too. Hailing someone on the radio only works if one they have a radio, two they have their radio on, three they are on the same channel as you, and four they can hear their radio while under way. It's an unfortunate situation. There are thieves everywhere and they aren't all tourists. Often times it has turned out to be a neighbor that has stolen from you.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I would never suspect a ghost kayak as having come off a sailboat myself.

Watched one of the, parasurfer dudes (whatever you call them) lose his board yesterday. He walked the beach for hours hoping he would catch site of it. I imagine they aint too cheap.
But whoever finds that board in a boat or washed aint gonna have a clue whos it is unless the guy were standing right there. If I had found it yesterday after he gave up...what could I have done? Run an ad in the paper hoping he lived there much less read the paper?

Mark your stuff permanently with phone number . The honest folks that come across it will return it.
Also place a zip lock bag with phone number in a storage compartment.

All folks aint bad and some people have tunnel vision in the moment.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I will admit if I found a kayak adrift, I am going to pick it up. I will make reasonable effort to find its owner and if that fails I'm going to claim it. I agree putting your personal info on it, in it, etc is a good idea.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
Was surf fishing last week in Wrightsville as a storm headed out to sea. It looked like a surfer convention out there. Somebody's ankle leash broke and a board washed up. I pulled it out of the surf until the owner made the long swim in to claim it. Those guys can be a pain around the piers but they are just as passionate about surfing as we are fishing. Do the right thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.