NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was areal slow night of topwater. My favorite buzz was destroyed the other day the blade won't spin since the piece that fits around the wire snapped in my battle saturday. Picked up a KVD buzz and some Booya buzzes. Worked the KVD at first and a good sized fish I am guess at least 6 slams it hard making a huge splash and starts running taking the drag. Finally settle it down and feel like I have it hooked well and next thing I know it make a run for shore I lose the tension and off she goes. I even have a trailer hook on the KVD.

Kept working it and a jitterbug and had two small swipes at it and than once again fish on and off just that quickly. this time no large splash smack but sure felt like I had a good hook set to once again lose the fish. Switched to booya and couldn't scare up a swipe at it. I like the sound of the thing but I think the bite was off tonight since last 6 outings I have landed 3 or more on topwater.

Must have been too nice of a day and the fish were enjoying the nice day and not interested in really hitting topwater tonight.

Heading to tackle shop tomorrow to pick up a couple of the ones that broke.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What type of rod are you using? I'm usually throwing my buzzers with a 6'6" to 7'0" MH casting rod that has some backbone. I'm also usually using braid with this lure, so my hooksets are pretty good. If you're using mono and a flimpsy rod, you may not be getting a good hookset, particularly on your longer casts.

As Finstalker suggests, it's tough to keep the steady retrieve through the strike, but wait until you feel a little weight on the line then give a hard hookset. Endless skirt strikes from hungry redbreast on the river are good training. :)

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I third the "patience" tactic. Let that fish take it down for a second until you know she's really got it. Sounds like the first one you lost was just due to losing contact with the fish (slack line).....it happens. If a fish runs toward you reel that line in like a mad man until you're back tight. Lifting that road above your head or back up slowly will combat the accumulation of slack line too until you can get "caught back up" to the fish.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both fish took it down n had it the big one that blasted it was taking drag like mad. The second I just didn't give a yank after I felt fish on n below surface

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type of rod are you using? I'm usually throwing my buzzers with a 6'6" to 7'0" MH casting rod that has some backbone. I'm also usually using braid with this lure, so my hooksets are pretty good. If you're using mono and a flimpsy rod, you may not be getting a good hookset, particularly on your longer casts.

As Finstalker suggests, it's tough to keep the steady retrieve through the strike, but wait until you feel a little weight on the line then give a hard hookset. Endless skirt strikes from hungry redbreast on the river are good training. :)
I use braid on a 6.6 meh rod. Have been killing them with this setup. My only misses with fish on have been with the new kvd tournament buzz I bought

Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
STINGER HOOK should fix that problem. Also have by your side a trick worm rigged up and if a Bass blows up on your Buzz bait and misses it- set the buzz bait rod down and IMMEDIATELY toss it that worm- Fish on !
I had three last night and one miss and immediately tossed a wacky rigged senko in spot no fish on. It was about 9 so pretty dark

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had three last night and one miss and immediately tossed a wacky rigged senko in spot no fish on. It was about 9 so pretty dark
Try to run a T-rig or C-rig with a glass bead next time. Gives it a little noise. I personally love throwing a Senko at night. Have had some of my best nights fishing that way. Full moons and 90 degree weather from 7pm-2am! Awesome combo for LMB fishing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts