NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got on the lake this morning expecting more crappie action than we actually experienced. The day started really slow....couldn't buy a bite.

After a couple hours of nothing we switched it up a little and headed to some other past productive holes. We expected crappie in brush.....found one black crappie.....and a lot of yellow perch. All were relatively nice perch.....few were almost 12".

A nice sized fish of some type came out of nowhere to try and steal a 8-9" perch off the hook at one point. Big bass? Pickerel? Who knows.

Night crawlers provided little help today....minnows were the ticket.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What time were you there sunday? Me and my wife were there sunday also. We had good luck with the perch too. Also bluegills.
Got on the water around 9:45 am and off about 2 something that afternoon. I love the lake. I hate the stumps (from experience). Wind is also a formidable opponent much of the time there.

What bait did you guys have luck with?

·
Registered
325 Posts
We caught ours on nightcrawlers. You all must have been been on the full size bass boat up there around the brush piles on the right hand fork. Me and my wife was on the green v-bottom that was as old as Noahs Ark. It gets the job done for now. Just sold my Pro Kraft Bass Boat so will be getting a 14' flat bottom soon to make into a small lake and river boat. We got tired of fishing the big lakes like Philpott and Smith Mountain because of the pleasure boaters. I would rather fish small lakes and New River anyway. Also do alot of trout fishing and take a few trips to the coast every year.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We caught ours on nightcrawlers. You all must have been been on the full size bass boat up there around the brush piles on the right hand fork. Me and my wife was on the green v-bottom that was as old as Noahs Ark. It gets the job done for now. Just sold my Pro Kraft Bass Boat so will be getting a 14' flat bottom soon to make into a small lake and river boat. We got tired of fishing the big lakes like Philpott and Smith Mountain because of the pleasure boaters. I would rather fish small lakes and New River anyway. Also do alot of trout fishing and take a few trips to the coast every year.
As I mentioned I usually have luck on crawlers there but not this go around. Some of the larger lakes really appeal to me but not when summer traffic is in full swing, especially if I'm on my kayak.

That was us on the right hand fork. Not the bass boat over there but as you said the one close to the brush. Where'd you find the fish?

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Left hand fork of the lake on the upper end. On the cow pasture side of the island. Sun was shining on the water on that side all day so the water temp there was higher. Figure that was why they were biting good on that side. I feel like the overall water temp for the lake is still to low for the crappies to really get turned on yet. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Left hand fork of the lake on the upper end. On the cow pasture side of the island. Sun was shining on the water on that side all day so the water temp there was higher. Figure that was why they were biting good on that side. I feel like the overall water temp for the lake is still to low for the crappies to really get turned on yet. What do you think?
We started out around that area earlier that morning with no luck. Probably hadn't warmed up much yet. I agree with the lake not warming up yet as a whole. Our temp reading wasn't working on the depth finder. What was the temp? I only caught one black crappie that day....the rest were yellow perch. No bluegills for us this time. Kind of odd. Redears there too.

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.