NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently enjoying the beautiful weather and fishing down in the South Carolina Low Country. Nailed my first speck on the fly this afternoon.

The only downer has been that we haven't seen any reds when wading the flats. Fortunately, we've been finding plenty of these fellows up in the grass, and they've been keeping me busy

A little bait chunkin' on the side has worn out the flounder, as well. Hopefully, we'll find some reds on the flats in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What wt were you throwing and did you have a fly/s you thought were effective.I plan to travel that way before it gets cold again. also are you a regular down there? How did you pick between charleston, hilton head or where you went. can you rec any areas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice fish. Are you catching sheepshead on flies or bait? I don't catch many of them because I only fish artificials. Last year I was really surprised when I caught my biggest one on a skitter walk.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice fish. Are you catching sheepshead on flies or bait? I don't catch many of them because I only fish artificials. Last year I was really surprised when I caught my biggest one on a skitter walk.
Fiddler pattern fly, thrown basically right behind them. They mostly spooked when I tried to lead them with the fly. They were up in the grass eating fiddlers and periwinkles. Tough to bait chunk effectively in really skinny water.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What wt were you throwing and did you have a fly/s you thought were effective.I plan to travel that way before it gets cold again. also are you a regular down there? How did you pick between charleston, hilton head or where you went. can you rec any areas?
7wt. Sheeps ate fiddler patterns, trout came on a sort of minnow-y thing with a rabbit strip tail in electric chicken and the flounder took clousers bumped on the bottom.

In any event, my choice of locations was made for me; my cousin lives down there, so I go where he is.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I was in Beaufort County. The gators seem to congregate in the golf course ponds on the more heavily frequented islands. I don't see many of them where I wade fish, though I've run into a few while gigging. A poke with the pointy stick seems to dissuade them, for the most part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts