NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some assistance from my fellow anglers. I am looking for a small low pressure farm pond around Fayetteville to get my 11 year old son on to. About a year ago he landed his first legit bass (see pic)and has been totally hooked by the sport ever since! " Way better than a video game", he says!

Our problem is that all the public water around Fayetteville and on Ft. Bragg gets a huge amount of pressure which can drive even the most experienced of us to frustration. Without some productive waters to cut his teeth on he is having a hard time learning good techniques with artificial baits and he is getting skunked on every outing. Listening to dad talk about hook set in the yard with a practice plug is no replacement for the real thing. He is a good boy and never complains but it sure does make me feel bad. I would give anything to have access to a well-stocked farm pond for him so he can learn how to tell a stick from a strike.

We have a two person kayak and can get into some hard places; I would consider a lease too. Any spots you all can recommend would be appreciated…Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you can't find more private waters, try teaching t-rigged worms. You can get bites with fast and slow retrieves, trick worms and senkos. The nice thing is that they're tough to hang up and you want him learning to toss along the shore line weeds and into heavy cover. Knowing how to get your worm out of the shrub you just cast into can reduce the frustration greatly. It's also where the fish hang out on high pressure ponds. Keep up the good work, he looks very pleased with that fish.

And maybe we can get our sons together sometime. Mine is hot and cold on fishing but he enjoys it when I get him out. Well, maybe not so much the last time. He hooked himself in the leg. That whole process hurt so I'm not going to push too hard too soon.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
If I knew anything around your way, I'd be glad to help you... I understand what you're trying to do, just tough to find what you're looking for. Make enough posts to enable you to receive PM's (I think around 10 or so posts), or consider putting an email address up for contact purposes, and it's possible you could get a response that way. For something like that, there's an outside chance someone might have a suggestion that they would share but don't want it on a public forum.

Best of luck to you, and I hope your son keeps at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.