NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing sat morning and the weather was perfect. Overcast all morning with light almost calm winds. Fished the lower Bay river area and had decent success. We caught 3 reds with 2 being nice 20" keepers and a lot of nice trout scattered around. Most of the trout hit popping corks being trailed behind the boat while we worked the shorelines. One trout was 24 and a day too early!! Fished with gulp shrimp in the pearl white and sugar spice glow colors. Decent fishing but very very few flounder. Brought dad on Sunday for fathers day and the fish had left the building. Caught a few small trout and that was it. What a change an east wind can bring, plus all the freshwater from the rains. Has anybody else had any success in the area and where are all the flounder???? Ive been catching some nice flounder on the Pamlico River closer to Bath, but have not been able to locate them around the Bay river and Hobucken area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put in today at the ramp in Vandemere around 4pm and fished until dark and boy, what a tough day it turned out to be. We ended up with one undersized flounder and a 17" speckled trout between 3 of us. Seems like we constantly moved in search of the fish, but they were not interested in what we had to offer. We stuck with Z-man and Vudu shrimp after the pinfish started tearing up our Gulp. Overall, it was a very tough day of fishing, but sure beats sitting at the house!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Several inches of rain downeast saturday around washington I know, so all that fresh water shut it down probably

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be fishing in that same area this weekend. What is your usual popping cork leader length, is there a set length I should use or a ratio of length per depth of water?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In regards to the leader length on the popping cork, i use around 24" of flourocarbon and a 1/4 oz jig head. I originally set the corks to this length to battle some of the grass in the creeks, but it seems to work well being trailed behind the boat. Ive probably caught 9 to 10 keeper Reds in the last few weeks and all but one were on the popping cork. I was never one to cast a popping cork and always casted a jig or topwater, but with the popping cork its the best of both worlds. Plus if I decide to hit some shoreline with a jig, I can throw the cork out in front of the boat and cast to the shore, fishing both rods at the same time. More baits in the water equals more fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts