NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lower Neuse is starting to pick up ,had a great 4 hour trip sunday morning.They still seem to be moving in small pods instead of larger schools,and they are feeding hard on schools of finger mullet.We caught 12 specks and 1 puppy all on mirro lures not a single fish on a grub or gulp.The tide seemed to be essential for the bite ,for once it reached high tide the bite seemed to be gone just like that .Did'nt catch a single fish inside any of the creeks yet all came from the near and around the creek mouths.We also did'nt catch a single fish under 15 inches most were between 17 and 20 inches .Talked to another guy as I was loading the boat,he and his partner had 18 specks and they were using live finger mullets on a float rig.Good luck if you make it out there !!Added some pics to they ones I caught did'nt get pictuers of the ones my buddy kept.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like you had a great trip. What kind of Mirro Lure do you use, I am new to trout fishing, and caught a nice one about a month ago on top water Pop-R and havent been able to get a bite on one since....lol. Thanks for any advice you can give me!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using series III mirror lures the ones with rattles and red hooks ,the real producer was gold body with black back ,but it did'nt seem to really matter as my buddy used several other colors,the key was just waiting on a school of finger mullet to come by and get the lures in the center of them quick .Every fish caught came right of the center of a school of finger mullet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey...thanks for the response...never used a mirror lure before. We have been using Gulp shrimp and pogys...that really seems to catch the drum and flounder pretty good around Hancock Creek. Thanks for the help!!:cool:

·
Registered
308 Posts
When your speaking of the lower neuse are you talking about the Oriental area? Is it always rough out that way? I went out Sunday (10-28) and put in at Smith's creek wildlife landing for the first time. Fished in the creek a while and under the 55 bridge, caught nothing but small(and I mean small) croakers so I decided to go across the river and try another creek(harbor?) that I could see on my gps right across from Smith creek, the wind was blowing from the north, according to weatherchannel was supposed to be about 10-13 but I believe it was 20-25, going across weren't to bad but the return trip back across the river was ROUGH took me an hour to cross with spray coming over with every wave. A nice gentleman in the parking lot advised me that any winds out of the north at Oriental would be bad. Any advise on what wind direction and speed I should want to see on the weather before I decide to go ? I have a 17 foot procraft that is doing double duty of inshore and bass fishing, should I stay away from that area and concentrate on some more protected creeks or something? If so, any recommendations?
Also I am new to inshore fishing having mostly been mostly fresh water fishing since I got my boat. When your targeting the specks are you fishing deep water, shallow, the middle of the river, just drifting along, anchored or what are looking beside bait running ( that's always a good sign lol) before you decide to make that cast and fish the spot.
Thanks for any help you can send my way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well lets see,north and northeast winds are always the worst to fish this area in but the creeks can still be fished effectively,Oriental is a great area to fish although I spent most of my time on the other side of the neuse river ,(south river,adams creek,turnigan bay)from my experience and keep in mind I'm no expert ,when is blowing from the north it blows right in the mouths of the smaller creeks and rivers and tends to blow the baitfish right along with them ,it also tends to make the water much higher than normal,but once away from the mouths the water tends to settle down.My tactics when then wind is high and out of the north is drift my favorite banks until I find a bite,using popping corks with gulp shrimp and a quarter ounce jig head or live mullet or mud minnows fished the same as the gulp anywhere from the grass to about 7 feet of water .I will usually just use a sloted popping cork and peg it about 18 inches up from the bait .Just try tageting slight points in the creeks channels where there is a depth change.I always try to fish when the wind is blowing from the south or south west then it is easier to travel across the neuse and further into the pamlico sound,I use the old saying northeast fishing is least southwest fishing is the best.But don't let that keep from getting out there ,I went yesterday and it was much rougher than i thought it was supposed to be and still managed a pamlico slam and kept a 20,19,17 and 3 15 inch specks for dinner.You sound just like me though I also am fishing a 17 foot bass boat and doing double duty ,bass fishing is my thing until the trout run .I'm in my third year of chasing the specs and every trip is still a learning experience,but so far this year the corks and mirrorlures have worked the best ,I have'nt had much luck fishing grubs on the bottom YET! but the time will come for that as well I'm sure .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks a million fishme2death!! Where do put in to access the areas you mentioned if you don't mind my asking? I am not familar with that area at all and am trying to gather a few places to fish at.
Again thanks for the info.:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I'm fishing adams creek I drop in at seagate marina ,and if I'm fishing south river or turnigan bay I drop off at the end of merrimon road in southriver ,neither are wildlife ramps though and they both have a fee.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks fishme2death I will have to give some of those places a try sometime. I caught my first spec yesterday a couple miles outside of new bern on the left side of the river as your heading toward minnosot. An elderly gentleman was tearing em up in front of the 55 bridge trolling. He had about 6 rods out with corks on draggin them back and forth but I couldn't tell what he was using for bait. I couldn't hook up there so we moved on. I caught mine on a doa swim bait on 1/4 oz jig head he was about 20 inches long. great fun

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats ,still lots of those rascals hiding out around New Bern I see ,I'm kinda curious to what this 4 to 6 foot surge in the tide from this storm will do to them ,maybe they will all run to New Bern lol .....hope not ,did you try him on the dinner table ?

·
Registered
308 Posts
yes just had some a minute ago, my mother-in-law loves fish so I cleaned him last night and gave it to her and she saved me a couple of big fillets delicious.
Now if I can just get into a big mess of them.
Good luck to the rest of you
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.